Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Tires and Wheels (https://blazerforum.com/forum/tires-wheels-13/)
-   -   Trailer Tire Sizes (https://blazerforum.com/forum/tires-wheels-13/trailer-tire-sizes-52940/)

streblo 12-18-2010 11:28 PM

Trailer Tire Sizes

So trailers come with different size tires. Say 13" vs. 15". What are the differences? advantages or disadvantages of each?. Is say a 15" just hold more weight than a 13", is there a performance or handling advantage? Does a 15" bounce around less? drag less?
Whats your take?

Rottidog 01-02-2011 09:50 PM

Bounce, drag, speed, revolutions is all part of sidewall height, OD of the tire, clearance issues with the fender if the trailer has one. Rule of thumb err fact is a taller tire will revolve slower than a lower, smaller OD tire. Less revs = less abuse/revolutions for the trailer bearings. Now if you talk height, then you'll get more cushioning in a taller/more sidewall tire & possibly more bounce depending on weight on the trailer. But a smaller tire OD/less sidewall, you'd have less, but it will be a harsher ride. As for capacities thats up to the MFG, sidewall, bias or radial etc.

So that may not have helped at all because it all depends on what you're hauling, over what terrain & for how long - it's up to all of that & personal prefference.
& it's air volume that holds the weight, not the pressure.
Long haul on a medium cargo trailer I'd want 15's because of the revolutions, taller sidewall absorbs more heat & dissipates it better from the road & cushions. Weight capacity depends on the MFG.
Confused now? lol
15's generally are good for most apps. Unless you're hauling lightweight things like a pair of skidoos, ATV's etc then 13's would work. IMO

streblo 01-02-2011 10:54 PM

ya i should have clearance in the fenders for larger tires. my trailer came with 13's on it. 5x8 cargo and only really going to be haulin bikes and gear in it most of the time, headin out to bc and back so will have few hundred lbs of stuff in it for that trip, the rest of the time mostly about 100-200lbs gear max so almost no weight in it whatsoever....just noticed as some of the trailers i was looking at had 15s and some 13s.

old skool luvr 01-04-2011 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by streblo (Post 393017)
ya i should have clearance in the fenders for larger tires. my trailer came with 13's on it. 5x8 cargo and only really going to be haulin bikes and gear in it most of the time, headin out to bc and back so will have few hundred lbs of stuff in it for that trip, the rest of the time mostly about 100-200lbs gear max so almost no weight in it whatsoever....just noticed as some of the trailers i was looking at had 15s and some 13s.

it's not that simple guys.

the tire size is in relation to the axle capacity (load), and have different bolt patterns & hub dimensions.

i have 205/75/14's on my 20 foot car trailer (tandem 3500 # axles), and when i replaced the fenders a few years ago, i thought i'd up grade to the 15" wheels since i needed new tires/wheels anyways. ended up being a major PITA & a waste of time. different spindle sizes for starters, plus the bolt patern was different, so that would mean new drums, which have different sized brake assemblies...............you see where i'm going?

i think, i repeat, think, the 13" wheels have the same bolt pattern as the 14's, but i'd definately try a trailer place to test fit any wheels before you commit any $$ to this swap.

but if you really want to go with a bigger wheel for the reasons Tom mentioned, then you'd be better off buying new axles along with the wheels you want. (in the weight class you desire)

but it ain't cheap.

Rottidog 01-04-2011 12:41 AM

Yeah I didn't factor in the trailer capacity or the axle capacity, spindles but who would get spindles that don't fit? Kinda thought that one would know... but like Chris & I said/pointed out - there's a chitload to concider, for sure!
I'm pretty sure Streblo/Jon would have looked in to at least fit of the wheels - hub.

old skool luvr 01-04-2011 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Rottidog (Post 393404)
Yeah I didn't factor in the trailer capacity or the axle capacity, spindles but who would get spindles that don't fit? Kinda thought that one would know... but like Chris & I said/pointed out - there's a chitload to concider, for sure!
I'm pretty sure Streblo/Jon would have looked in to at least fit of the wheels - hub.

when i mentioned the spindles, i was refering to the ends of the axle where the wheel bearings sit (which is called the spindle). and they're not interchangable, they're pressed into the axle.

streblo 01-04-2011 05:38 PM

ah touche. its just a single 3500lb axle with no brakes, ive seen other trailers out there with a single 3500 lb axle with no brakes and 15s....everythings brand new i might as well at least burn the rubbers out and think about switching afterwards, unless i feel like selling the tires and getting other ones. bah....was more so curious on handling differences rather than weight capacities.