Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Tires and Wheels (https://blazerforum.com/forum/tires-wheels-13/)
-   -   Winter tires (https://blazerforum.com/forum/tires-wheels-13/winter-tires-5651/)

hdlogistics 09-23-2006 10:09 PM

Winter tires

I've read many threads on all-terrain tires but does anyone run with a "winter" tire during the winter months? Since I only have a 4x2, my Yokahama Geolanders were not very good with snow & ice. In this part of Canada, we can get deep snow and ice a lot. I was looking at a set of Blizzak DM-Z3's. I'm just wondering what your opinions are. Thanks...

Hanr3 09-26-2006 11:52 AM

RE: Winter tires

Unfortunately, not too amny of us run winter tires. Unfortunate becuase we dont get enough snow to warrent it.

VRDriver4l 09-26-2006 12:03 PM

Well we get slammed up in new york pretty good. I never used blizzaks on my blazer but they were my one and only choice for winter tires on my GTI the 2 seasons i drover her in the snow. They seemed great, wicked traction in the snow and wet, only downside to mine was they wore down somewhat quick but im guesing that is just because they are winter tires and a pretty soft rubber.

slammins15 09-26-2006 03:23 PM

x

hdlogistics 09-26-2006 08:15 PM

I never had much luck with the Canadian Tire brand tires. I may go with the Blizzak's and buy some rims from the wrecker yard..

tommyd 09-27-2006 02:14 AM

Blizzaks are amazing. Never owned them but I drove my friends jetta that had them. I could just rat like there wasn't any snow.

a_tack 10-17-2006 04:32 PM

When I had a 2wd ford ranger, I ran a tire made by michelin call the Wintermark Steel Radial HT. . and to be honest with you, theres not many places I couldn't go in the snow. . . I live in the foothills of the appalachian mountians and it actually snows quite a bit here. . the best thig is they were only about $65 each. . . mud-terrain style tread and siped for water. . . you can get them in about any size, and I would highly reccommend them. .. ran them for two winters (same set) about 10,000 miles and they still look brand new. . .

2 Big Blazers 03-29-2007 03:03 AM

I plow snow with a full size 89 Blazer. Had BFG A/T's, and I talked the boss into a cheap set of 33" Mud tires. Those cheap mud tires worked better then any tire on any of our other plow trucks. Next fall, all our plow trucks are getting mud tires. In snow/slush, they do great, on a sheet of ice, not so great, but then again, A/T's don't do any better.

a_tack 03-31-2007 01:01 AM

I now run my WIntermark Steel Raidals on a "one-wheel wonder" 2wd Silverado... they are still running strong and get awesome traction.... 3 winters and 2 trucks... still highly reccomens them... the problem with most MT tires is they arent siped for water and get poor traction in very light snow....I mean, you could always run chains I guess...

drperry 03-31-2007 08:32 AM

Just remember, that you'll get a lot better traction if you go one step narrower on the tires, for snow/ice.

I plan on picking up some winter tires, and if I can find some with a tall enough sidewall and load rating, I'll be picking up 215s.

Had an old Mazda 4x4, and that thing NEVER got stuck in the snow, running 215s, same with my old Z34, ran 215s instead of 225s, and was the best FWD car I've ever driven in the snow/ice.

Downsizing one step is reccomended for snow and ice tires... They dig in a lot better...

And any good A/T or mud tire will whoop ass in the snow... Not so good on ice, though, lol