Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

1978 K5 tires?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 01:03 AM
Beginning Member
STIgary is on a distinguished road
Default 1978 K5 tires?

Ok, I just got a 78 k5 for free from my grand parents and im hoping to drive this thing home but i cant do it on the 15year old tires that havent even moved in about 10 years. I have the opportunity to get a set of 4 33/12.50s for a great price. it already has some beefier tires on there but they are obviously no good. they are 31/10.50s. Should i buy these tires or am i facing some negative outcomes? will thes monster rubbers trash the difs? transfer cases? rubbing? etc. Thanks a million

-Gary

PS. stock rims from 78

Old 07-22-2010, 06:05 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The tires won't trash the diffs/t-case, but they will rub at the extents of steering and/or articulation. My '74 has a 3" body lift and some trimming to clear 33's.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:21 AM
Beginning Member

Sweet! Do they still make lifts for these? Where can I find one? Would these 33s work just to get it home on the highway?

Old 07-22-2010, 10:46 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

They may work for the trip home... Just depends on how far and how many turns you have to make...

As far as lifts, they're all over the place. Just start searching! OffRoadDesign.com is a good place to start for custom parts, not necessarily lifts though.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:59 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the help thus far. One more thing though, What size rubber can i fit on thestock suspension without any difficulties? im really wanting to put as big of tires as i can for now so if i lift it it still looks good.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:23 PM
blueblazer1982 is on a distinguished road

i believe 31s are about as big as you can go. not 100% sure. i picked up a set for mine but i have a lift too.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:39 PM
Beginning Member
Default Hmmmmmm

HMMMMM, I guess I am wondering how all these people jack these things up and get 37s and 39s on then go romping through and over whatever they please.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:08 AM
Administrator

Yeah, 31x10.5 tires should be safe for a stock suspension truck.

It all depends on how well the steering/suspension has held up over the years. I mention steering because of the potential for the 'death wobble' the larger your tires get with worn steering components.

And as far as those people running 37's or 39's, lots of lift and stronger axles! I wouldn't recommend going over 33's on the stock axles if you are planning on pushing it offroad. 35's if it's only going to be a pavement pounder.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:36 PM
blueblazer1982 is on a distinguished road

how much do you plan to offroad it and how hard?

i run 35s on stock axles , no problem. but i know my limits and i can't push it to hard.

sure a dana 60 or a 3/4 ton axle would be awesome for my 35s.

all depends on how much cash you have to work with to purchase parts and how hard you want to beat it

Old 07-23-2010, 07:56 PM
Beginning Member

I don't want to beat the hell out of it but some of the roads we travel for hunting season are pretty brutal. I like the look of a huge truck too. What lift kits are good for the price for my application?

Quick Reply: 1978 K5 tires?