Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Tires and Wheels (https://blazerforum.com/forum/tires-wheels-13/)
-   -   Zr2 spare tire lock(i'm an idiot). (https://blazerforum.com/forum/tires-wheels-13/zr2-spare-tire-lock-im-idiot-20317/)

Smoked 05-01-2008 05:39 PM

Zr2 spare tire lock(i'm an idiot).

Howdy... first time i've tried removing the spare...i find a shiny silver lock on one of the lugs on the spare. It has a key hole just like one of the door locks but it just spins around in either direction. I was only given one key with this car...is it the main ignition key? What do i do? I feel so retarded :)

willjones 05-01-2008 06:06 PM

RE: Zr2 spare tire lock(i'm an idiot).

The way you take it off, is just put your key in and turn it clock wise and as you turn it pull it straight back and off. All it is is a lock pin release.

Smoked 05-01-2008 06:16 PM

Thanks but that's not working. Is the whole things supposed to spin around? Or does an inner part spin inside the outer part? I put the key in and turn clockwise and it will keep spinning endlessly... pulling out does nothing :(

ORIGINAL: willjones

The way you take it off, is just put your key in and turn it clock wise and as you turn it pull it straight back and off. All it is is a lock pin release.

willjones 05-01-2008 06:54 PM

You have to hold it while you turn the key. The key should only turn a little bit. I just went and did it on mine like 5 seconds ago.

Smoked 05-01-2008 06:58 PM

So it's supposed to turn around all the way... but the middle part with the key should turn inside the whole unit?

You have to hold it while you turn the key. The key should only turn a little bit. I just went and did it on mine like 5 seconds ago.

willjones 05-01-2008 07:04 PM

The outside shell doesn't need to turn at all, only the center.

Hanr3 05-01-2008 07:31 PM

die grinder, cut off wheel, or drill bits. :D

Smoked 05-01-2008 09:57 PM

Sorry I wasn't clear...i mean it's normal that it turns all the way around in general...not for the purposes of opening it :) I sprayed some wd40 in there...will try again in the morning. Man nothing's gone right with this truck since i've got it...all the stupid little stuff that can go wrong has :)

The outside shell doesn't need to turn at all, only the center.

Smoked 05-02-2008 08:40 AM

Okay, even after soaking it with wd40 and leaving it overnight the key wont' budge. Am i seriously going to have to drill this thing to get my spare off?

Zed 05-02-2008 10:37 AM

I bet if you just give it one whack with a hammer it will come right off as there isn't much holding it on ...
Just stick the key straight in and pull hard on the chrome piece , if that doesn't work take a screw driver and put it in the key hole and give it a whack ?

Zed