1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

85 s10 blazer lean and white smoke

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 02:30 AM
Beginning Member
doelleb85 is on a distinguished road
Default 85 s10 blazer lean and white smoke

need help 85 s10 blazer carb 2.8l v6. first the blazer was kinda bogging down on the freeway had no power to even go up hill when i put my foot in to it in 4 5 th gears also if i put my foot more than half way down on the freeway it bogs and looses speed and power. it was fine in the city areas off the freeway. i replaced the fuel pump, pcv, checked for vacum leaks, changed oil, air filter, plugs... it starts right up at first, once i go about 3 blocks i loose almost all power barley running had to put it in 4 low to get it home. check engine light comes on i get a code 13 and a 44 witch i think is lean fuel and i get white smoke. also it the engine seemd kinda hot but temp gauge was reading normal above 100 but not hot...and on the passenger side the thing that has the 3 metal lines running in to the headers, bigger hose coming from it going to the intake, another running down to what i think is a air pump? but any way whatever thats called the wireharness that clips in to it where the wires run from the unit to the rest of the grouped wires in the middle of the run the wires got to close to the headers and burnt em pretty bad to the point where the 2 wires contacted due to no insulation....also when i pump the peddle kinda feather it seems like it wants to go pulls forward pretty hard then just hesitates and i have to left of the pedal to wait for the engine to stop hiccuping.

Last edited by doelleb85; 12-11-2010 at 03:26 AM.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:59 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

White smoke usually means water/coolant in the exhaust...

Have you replaced the fuel filter?

Old 12-11-2010, 12:24 PM
Beginning Member

Don't say headgasket first thing..lol....and yes the fuel filter is new. The white smoke doesn't seem like the kind that's from a blown gasket wrong kinda smell doesn't have that coolent smell either and wouldn't throw a code 13 ( 02 sensor circut open) and 44 (lean fuel)

Old 12-11-2010, 01:40 PM
Beginning Member

now im getting a 41 ignition error 13 open no activity 02 sensor...and when i shut the vehical off it keeps running for a few secs.

Old 12-11-2010, 02:55 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Have you inspected the wiring under the hood? It sounds like you may have some harness damage that may have crossed wires.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:16 PM
Beginning Member

ya thats wat i said, the 2 wires for that go to the acuater that is conected to the air pump they hit the headers and cooked them thru the insulation and the wires were contacted. i noticed that before i had this problem while i was changing the oil...but i just got back from auto parts store..im going to replace the wires that got burned, put in new water pump, thermostat, ecu, i like how the parts are so cheap...lol

just a note when i drove it today and got it too the auto shop, they were no help btw...it was very weak barley running almost had to put it in 4 low to get it up a small hill, when i turned the key to the off position it kept running and wouldnt shut off. so with the keys in my hand i walked to the front of the engine, engine still running. popped the hood and the only way i thought to shut it off was to pull the plug wire on the coil pack...lol so i pulled it off real fast i got shocked about 6 or 7 times, nice big blue 3 inch lighting bolts jumpin from the coil pack to my fingers..finally it shut off so if that helps point me in the right direction..idk any ideas?

Last edited by swartlkk; 12-12-2010 at 08:02 AM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:50 AM
Administrator

The wires you mentioned were for the air pump. I am speaking more about the other harnesses which carry the O2 sensor and ignition wiring.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:50 PM
Beginning Member

I got the schematics for the harness to ecu etc..and the wires that got burned dont go to the ait pump they go to the valve that looks almost like the egr but had bigger hoses comin out of it one goes to the aair cleaner....anyway those to wires r tied directly in to the ignition circut...also it looks like previous owner just told me the ecm1 fuse blew a few weeks back I went and checked it, come to find out the guy put a fuse in it that has a higher amp rating....so I'm thinking it fried the ecus ignition circut...explains o2 senser open when the 02 senser is new, the lean code 44 when really the white smoke that came out was rich as can be, the truck not shutting off, loss of power, kinda rough more sporatic idle. I'm about to start diggin in it..going to check all wires in th engin bay replace the burnt ones as well as the right fuse installed and new ecu...keepin my fingers crossed ill post back as soon as I'm done with the results.

looks like a little air distributer...one of the uses it prevents backfire when u let of the gas, makes sense it did backfire some when I let of the gas, not much tho real faint and quiet kindabackfire..

Last edited by swartlkk; 12-12-2010 at 03:01 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:36 AM
Beginning Member

well i rewired the burned wires, replaced the ecu, seem to be good at first but once i start to drive it i make it about 3 blocks or so it warms up from driving and barley wants to stay started...the upper radiator hose does seem really hot compared to other cars and trucks ive worked on its pretty hot hotter than normal i think....maybe its overheating and just running like crap and wants to shut down?? well i got the water pump and thermostat im putting them in now..oh and btw the reason the engine would stay running when i turned the key off was someone put in an electric fan it turns on automatically but also there a switch to turn it on manually when the switch is on the blazer wont shut off when i turn it off....well any help or input would be greatly appreciated. before i do the water pump imma let it cool off and start it up and drive it to see if it runs fine again till it seems to heat up, just to confirm its doin that.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:08 AM
Beginning Member
Kainon is on a distinguished road

sounds like a clogged CATalytic converter, builds up pressure, engine struggling, overheating. I'd check out the O2 sensor first.

Last edited by Kainon; 12-13-2010 at 08:38 AM.

Quick Reply: 85 s10 blazer lean and white smoke