1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Cold start on W motor 1994 Jimmy

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 02:54 PM
Starting Member
cubawashere is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you really did do good then. The gauge did help with verifying low pressure, and I thought you were throwing parts at it. The last post showed you did follow a diagnostic procedure. I hear ya on the not being so much fun part! lol Glad you posted #10. Broke down what you did even better and provided what the "fix" was. WTG! Must feel good to get it done finally?

Old 04-19-2014, 08:04 AM
Beginning Member
Topless is on a distinguished road

Last week was a real pain. Took 1 vehicle in for a factory recall, got it back, where they had to pull the intake. Got it back, now has coolant and fuel leak. Back to dealer Tuesday.
Before the jimmy stopped starting, my old chevy pickup stopped locking the converter. It has 260k miles on it and the original speedo cable was the problem, and I replaced the speed sensor for the cruise and converter lock up, but had to park that to get the Jimmy running again. So, 3 vehicles down, the 2 back running are the ones I fixed myself.
I bought GM service manuals for all my vehicles back then, and use the diagnostics to troubleshoot. The problem with those is, they were just getting into ecu controlling things and they didn't know how to write the manuals very well. No place in the Jimmy service manual do they give you the key on fuel pressure. The reason we replaced the oil pressure sensor, was the manual said with it running , unplug the fuel pump,relay and if it died, it was the oil,pressure sensor. And, that seems to be a fairly common problem, so it got replaced. The ignition switch was a gamble, I've had those do weird things before.
I appreciate the input from those that contributed.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:17 AM
Beginning Member

Last update. The truck has be perfect since the fuel pump install. It got some needed attention during the trouble shooting, distributor cap and fuel filter were so bad I couldn't believe it even ran with them. By changing the ECT and oil pressure sensor, we are pretty sure it will run this way for a while.

Old 06-15-2014, 02:43 PM
Beginning Member

Latest news. The new fuel pump is dropping pressure on cold starts already. The good news is it's under warranty. The bad news it needs changing already.

Old 06-15-2014, 03:06 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

What brand pump did you get?

Old 06-17-2014, 07:58 AM
Beginning Member

Took fuel pressure readings and it's not the fuel pump. And, this time the cold start is not consistent, some times it starts perfect, others it has to crank for 15-20 seconds. Since I replaced everything else the first time, beginning to wonder about the injector setup on the HO motors.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:40 AM
Beginning Member

I believe the problem is the fuel injection that they used on this motor series. Time to research changing that out. What a pita this truck has become.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:24 PM
Leeann_Bravada is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you pulled the IMTV on the top of the intake and looked inside with a flashlight? Could be either the fuel pressure regulator (passenger side) or the nut kit (fuel pressure and return lines on the driver's side), or both. I had to replace both on my Bravada; the spider (fuel injector) wasn't quite,right so I grabbed one from my '93 Astro (holes in oil pan from leaks the PO didn't fix).

See the gold color? That's where leaking gas has cleaned up the soot:

And the new FPR and nut kit installed:

Attached Thumbnails Cold start on W motor 1994 Jimmy-98efecc6de389279f17b0b23e0b6cb15_zps80823806.jpg   Cold start on W motor 1994 Jimmy-f5c66cd16eea9a519cb2b3633a363d82_zps3b3b7243.jpg  

Last edited by Leeann_Bravada; 07-10-2014 at 08:29 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:58 AM
Beginning Member

First decided to run a can of seafoam injector cleaner through a tank, it helped a lot. Since it started suddenly after all the other work done, I considered some varnish may have broken loose somewhere in the fuel system and stuck in the injector. It took driving that tank out to stop the problem completely, or at least temporarily completely. When it wouldn't start immediately, I'd floor it and it started right up, after the sea foam, it haven't had to do that, it just starts. We'll see if it stays away or comes back.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:42 PM
Leeann_Bravada is an unknown quantity at this point

Excellent!

Get a bottle of Chevron Techron and run that through a tank. It's a lot better than the Seafoam, imho.

Quick Reply: Cold start on W motor 1994 Jimmy