1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Defrost Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 09:51 AM
Big E is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Defrost Problems

I am having trouble using my defroster. It doesn't work like it should. When it is in the defrost position and its cold outside, I usually move the temperature up to warm. This just causes the windows to fog up even with the defroster on full blast. And it never seems to clear off. The ac comes on with the defroster like normal. The windows also fog up when the heat is switched on, so I usually end up running the normal ac and moving the temperature to warm. Any ideas what it could be? Please help, because it is dangerous to not be able to see out the window.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:03 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Defrost Problems

Do you smell antifreeze?

Old 01-09-2009, 10:31 AM

There is no antifreeze smell.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:34 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Does the fog eventually dissipate if you turn the heat to full hot?

Old 01-09-2009, 10:39 AM

It never fully dissipates completely. Even with it on full blast.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Where do you live? What kind of temperatures and conditions are you dealing with right now?

Old 01-09-2009, 10:46 AM

I am located in Northern Georgia, and travel to Auburn, Alabama regularly. It's in the mid to high 30's right now in N. Ga.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Do you have any wet areas in the carpet?

Old 01-09-2009, 02:46 PM
Starting Member
bertrenolds has a little shameless behavior in the past

Is their wet carpet on the passengerside below the glove box? I bet it's the heater core! You said the fog never goes away right, when you park the truck overnight and get in it in the morning are the windows still foggy before you start the truck? If so you need to replace the heater core which is a fun job that you pretty much have to remove the entire dashboard to get at. I very much enjoyed doing mine[:@]

Old 01-09-2009, 10:07 PM

Yes, when I leave the vehicle at night and get in it the next day the windows are still foggy. I haven't checked the carpet to see if it is wet, but I will now. Sounds like a great job, if that's what it turns out to be haha.

Quick Reply: Defrost Problems