1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

need help removing digital dash

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 02:08 PM
wirtner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default need help removing digital dash

can someone please give me a detailed explanation on how to remove my digital dash thank you

Old 12-17-2008, 02:33 PM
Coma is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: need help removing digital dash

I dont know what your yaer of truck is but i have 1989 GMC Jimmy with a Digital Dash and ive had it out 3 times now to get fixed.Just remove all the trim around it then there is 4 screws holding the Cluster part in there.Once your screws are out it should just pull out,there is just a plug on the Back of it,should pull out with eas. Hope this helps a little.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:36 PM
Starting Member
bertrenolds has a little shameless behavior in the past

Pretty self explanitory and not very hard, just need to remove all of the screwsholding the the plastic trim piece that covers the cluster and then also the screws that hold thehead light switch in place and then the screws that hold the heater/AC selector in place.
Heater/ac is the hardest part because you need to pull it out just a little bit to access 2/3 tiny silver hex head screws that are on the back side of that plate. Then pull off the temp *** and the ac-defrost selection **** on the front and pull the trim piece off. Reason you need to do all of this is because their is a cable that prevents you from removing/pulling the selector outand it is impossible to remove it without breaking the piece that hold it to the selector. Once you get the heat selector out its all cake and self explanitory.

Is your cluster bad, a motherboard will fix anything wrong with it, or you can get a new power supply and soder it in and save some money if you can soder.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:00 PM

where exactly do you solder the power can you show me a pic and my blazer is a 89 with a 4.3 auto i payed 90$ for it

Old 12-23-2008, 03:51 PM
Beginning Member
x33camaro is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.mrwhizard.com/index.cfm

Check this out....

Old 12-25-2008, 08:28 AM

ok i have a new need my steering columm is doing the ultimate chevy thing where its all loose and stuff where i can grab my wheel and push on it like im going to palm it to turn and it pushes up and moves around and my shirft pulls back like im trying to take it out of gear i heard that this can be fixed befor it all falls apart how do i fix it? thanks

Old 12-25-2008, 09:38 AM
Starting Member

forget camaros post, $189 for cluster repair, WHAT A RIP OFF!!!!!!
You can either purchase the powersupply on ebay and soder it in yourself, have to be good at sodering motherboards, search "blazer cluster power supply"on ebay or try this link found here http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVY...Q5fAccessories
Or if you dont want to soder you can just buy the board alread sodered for you by searching for "blazer mb" on ebay, deal with the guy in Winona, MN. Thats who I got my board from for $57.99 found here http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-...1%7C240%3A1318
I promise that if you get a new motherboard you digital display will work 100% unless the crystal displays are burnt out but I doubt that would ever happen. If it does I have one laying around I could sell.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:42 AM
Starting Member

wirtner, did you check to see if the 2nuts that are on the steering column that hold the column to the dash are tight? Take the plastic molding that is right below the steering wheel off to access the 2 nuts.

Old 12-25-2008, 02:56 PM

yea there tight like the lower part is but its just like where it tilts is loose from the lower peice it just feels like the top part is gonna fall into my lap it wasent this bad when i got it but i tilted the steering wheel and ever since its bin getting looser and looser any help would be apreciated thanks

Old 12-25-2008, 08:10 PM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point

been awhile but I believe based on what you describe(wish I could see it but....), I believe that you'll have to pull the steering wheel and dig even deeper, pulling the directional assembly-sliding it up a couply inches and to the side. I believe it'll be now that you'll see three circular holes leading(four inches down the hole) to three nuts(I believe). If I recall correctly you'll need a 1/4" drive ratchet and extension and maybe a 7 or 8mm socket.(don't quote me-look into the hole with a light). I've never(to my knowledge) ever been able to tighten all three but you should be able to get two of three and that'll be just fine. Keep us posted. JP[:'(]

Quick Reply: need help removing digital dash