1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

it no go straight anymore!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 09:31 PM
posetha is an unknown quantity at this point
Default it no go straight anymore!

I have a 1994 4x4 atx 4.3 vortec s10 model. I got the front end completely checked & was told that all parts are great. Then I got it alligned. Now it tries to change lanes on its' own. I have to make constant & large corrections to sorta sometimes keep it in one lane. I have taken it to 3 different shops to get it re-checked, but they all said the allignment is good & all front end parts are great. Even the tires are at a constant 38psi. I used to have an old dodge 4x4 that had the same issue and a mechanic said he had to adjust the slack from the steering gear. It was fine after that. I suspect the same thing is happenning here, but I dont know how to do that. Can any of you guys tell me how to do that please? Driving through snow would be a lot less nerve wracking if it would just go straight!

Old 12-21-2008, 09:35 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: it no go straight anymore!

I can not believe that 3 separate shops have examined the vehicle and have failed to find the cause of the pull... You have a pronounced problem. You may want to find a competent shop and tell them to take it for a drive with you as a passenger so they can experience the problem first hand.

Are all four tires the same size, tread depth, and pressure? Has the truck ever been in an accident?

Old 12-21-2008, 09:38 PM

I agree, but I am going to run out of shops to take it to soon, not to mention none of them around here will do a free estimate & my cash runneth out! The biggest issue is that no one wants to test run it when there is heavy snow on the ground with lots of slick spots. Life in Iowa is a blast!

Old 12-21-2008, 09:41 PM

No accidents, same ties on all 4 corners & all at 38psi, I made certain of that personally. Do you know how to adjust the slack out of the steering gear? I feel strongly this must be it but I just need to get it done.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:48 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Adjusting the steering gear box is not for the beginner mechanic. You can easily destroy the steering box if you tighten it too much. If you really want to give it a whirl, I can expand on how to do it tomorrow. I am off for some much needed sleep right now.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:53 PM
Starting Member
Johns1987Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Steering stabilizer maybe? I dont know if you 2nd gen blazers have it, but I know for sure the first gens dont. I have a friend that has a wrangler and that was the problem. Also check ball joints, idler arm, tie rod ends and even the pitman arm.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:05 PM

I dont know if there is a steering stabilizer, but the problem happenned about a week after I got it alligned. I think I just need to find a mechanic who will just get the steering gear adjusted once & for all.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:45 AM
quik1964 is an unknown quantity at this point

check where the various parts connect to the frame, I had an older model(88) where rust and wear and tear broke a small part out of the frame

Old 12-23-2008, 04:02 PM
Beginning Member
x33camaro is an unknown quantity at this point

First Generation Blazers aren't known for their handling but why do you have your tires at 38lbs? The OEM tires are small compared to todays standards(newer Blazers)and over inflating your tires will make the Blazer float on the road at highway speeds. I would put them to 32lbs and see how the Blazer drives after that. Rule of thumb, KISS, then eliminate all the obvious before you dig any deeper into your pockets....