1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

transmission leak. HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 10:58 PM
ajaymora901 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default transmission leak. HELP

hey wassup guys. i have this transmission leak that i would rather do myself but i dont quite no how to do so it would be greatly appreciated if someone could tell me how to take out the drive shaft from the tranny to replace the seal. i have a '91 2wd automatic blazer. i would greatly appreciate some help. thanks

Old 04-04-2009, 11:50 AM
Sunshine Coaster is an unknown quantity at this point

It's pretty east to do..first you need to either drain the tranny fluid or jack it up by the back so the fluid doesn't run out when the shaft is removed. Then you remove the caps that hold the universal joint to the rear end. Once removed, stick a prybar in and force the drive shaft back towards the tranny, this will pop the universal joint bearing caps out of the saddles and give you clearance on the rear to drop it down and then just slide it out of the tranny tail shaft, make a mate-mark between the driveshaft and the tail shaft so you go back in the same spline it came out of. ( make sure the bearing caps don't fall off of the universal joint, you'll have little needle bearings all over the place) Then with some sort of hook tool (if you don't have a seal remover) pry out the old lip seal. Before re-installing the new seal, make sure the fit inside the tranny is clean with no burrs, a little emery cloth works fine here. When putting in the new seal, make sure you don't **** it in the fit, it needs to go in straight...you might have to take the emery and remove the paint from the leading edge of the new seal then use a little light oil inside the fit and on the new seal. If you can start it in straight with a few gentle taps, go to your tool box and find a socket thats just a hair smaller than the diameter of the seal and use this as a drift to pop in the new seal, stop when it's flush to the housing. Need to be careful here not to kink the seal. Remember to install in the same way the old one came out, flat face of the seal to the outside. It's also not a bad idea to pack some grease in the inside of the seal prior to install..fill up the inside cavity where the spring wraps around the rubber seal, careful not to dislodge the spring. Make sure the input shaft of the driveshaft is clean, take a little emery and polish it then cover it with grease, line up the splines and re-insert, rear universal goes back together reverse of disassembly. Note: mark one bearing cap so it goes back in the same saddle it came out of. Good luck.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:52 PM
ajaymora901 is an unknown quantity at this point

hey thanks for the quick post.. ill try to do this asap. is it bad for the tranny if i let it leak for another week? anyway im glad theres people like u to post these things to help out.. you just saved me a trip to a mechanic! thanks again.