1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Wiring problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 06:30 PM
Beginning Member
SldAxl85 is on a distinguished road
Default Wiring problem

I have an 85 s10 blazer. The guy i bought it from didnt finnish installing the rebuilt motor. I have almost all of the wires hooked up except the starter sylinoid(sp) and the fusable link wires. I have used a wireing diagram to solve my problem but its not much help! does anyone have a picture or can take a picture of what it lookes like hooked up?

and..

there is a white plug, male, with 4 prongs in a square formation. it has a green water seal on it. what does it go to?????? its driving me crazy!!

Old 05-24-2010, 06:51 PM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

I have a manual (Chiltons) for an 85 and a factory for an 84. Is your truck a California or Federal version? I'll take a look and see if I can help you out. You're almost there man. I have an 84 Jimmy but it isn't anywhere I'm at and won't be. Where is this white plug located? And what engine/trans are we working with?

SldAxl85 You have two fusible links in the engine circuits. They are red in color. (There are 4 different colors representing different gauges of wire). One goes in-line from your red/white wire from your generator (alternator) and connects that wire to the big lead on your starter solenoid. The other splices from the red wire that runs between your ignition switch and the junction block on the firewall and runs to the same terminalon the solenoid. I think if you ask at the auto parts store for a red fusible link, they should know what you're talking about. (This is for a 1985 Federal V-6 engine.
Your ignition switch also has a yellow wire coming off of it that goes to your neutral safety switch and is purple coming out of the switch and goes to the small terminal on the solenoid to actuate it.
Really need to know more about this white plug and what colors of wires it has in it and where it is located. I could go to your EFE relay but without the above information, I'm at a loss.
Engine/trans combo and California or federal would also help.

Last edited by Gimpy Blazer; 05-24-2010 at 10:28 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:43 AM
Beginning Member
SldAxl85 is on a distinguished road

no its not a cali model. I was told the green plug might have gone to my air cleaner but my air cleaner housing doesnt have a spot for a pug on it. my problem is the motor is out of a different blazer. everything else matches up to the year as far as visuals go but i just cant figure it out. and thanks for the fusable link question i couldnt figure out how that thing went together.. my manual isnt very detailed when it comes to wireing diagrams at least for me because i know very little about wireing.. i mean i know the basics but as far as color coding and what they go to without someone telling me or me being able to physically see where it goes im lost. thanks