New symptom tonight....when I switched it into 4HI, I got a loud high pitched whirring noise. So now, the order of symptoms goes like this:
- rumbling noise from (apparently) front/right side while driving in 2HI
- put in Neutral, then shift into 4HI
- noise immediately stops, but high pitched whirring noise quickly becomes audible from under the vehicle
- shift back to DRIVE
- whirring noise remains throughout driving range, but seems louder when letting off of the gas pedal and coasting
- shift to Neutral, then shift back into 2HI
- shift to DRIVE, whirring noise still present--but goes away after resuming pressure on the gas pedal for no more than 3 or 4 seconds.
This has me wondering if something is seriously amiss with my transfer case. Please, does anyone have any ideas? Whatever it is, it's getting worse and I don't even drive the vehicle very often at this time of year...