Go Back   Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums > Mechanical & Maintenance > General Tech Help > 2nd Gen S-series (1995-2005) Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


Welcome to Blazer Forum!
Welcome to Blazer Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Blazer Forum today!


Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 11-28-2009, 08:22 AM
Beginning Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 33
Rhodes19 is on a distinguished road
Default

Hi All,

My daughter's '99 Blazer will crank and turn over but won't start. She ran the battery down trying to start it so I recharged it. When I went to start it all lights and gages worked. It turned over a little so I jumped the battery to my truck, gave it a few minutes and tried to start it. The motor/starter are turning over but still won't start. It sounds like it will catch/start at times but then doesn't. There is fuel in the tank. Any ideas or suggestions? I did some reading on the sight and am wondering if it might be the fuel pump (which was changed out a couple of years ago). What can I check next and how would I do that? Thanks for any and all help.

*Combining Consecutive Posts*

Ok, maybe not the pump but I'm not sure. When I turn the key all they way before the starter kicks in, I hear a low hum for about 2 seconds. After trying to start it and when I turn the key to the off position, I hear a 2 second hum again. Not sure where it is comeing from thought. I read somewhere the fuel pump will turn on for 2 seconds before starting and then again for 2 seconds after the ignition is turned off. Hopefully the problem is not the pump but something easier I can fix. Again, thanks for any and all help.

*Combining Consecutive Posts*

Oh, sorry, one more bit of info. My daughter tells me that her Blazer will also chock, become jerky, or slow down when she tries to accelerate on the highway. Thanks.

Last edited by swartlkk; 11-29-2009 at 02:35 PM. Reason: combining consecutive posts - Please use the EDIT feature to include additional information in your post if another member has not yet replied.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-29-2009, 09:14 AM
Beginning Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 33
Rhodes19 is on a distinguished road
Default

Bump
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-29-2009, 11:07 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Corona Ca
Posts: 95
jigger is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Oh, sorry, one more bit of info. My daughter tells me that her Blazer will also chock, become jerky, or slow down when she tries to accelerate on the highway. Thanks.
Isn't that the way it goes-Oh by the way dad the left rear wheel fell off too!
Do a fuel pressure test, low fuel pressure could make it run like you discribed. Could be fuel filter or fuel pressure regulator.
1) autozone has test equip. to check fuel pressure (no cost)
2) fuel filter (inexpensive fix)
Now you can start throwing parts at it!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-29-2009, 01:11 PM
Beginning Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 33
Rhodes19 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigger View Post
Isn't that the way it goes-Oh by the way dad the left rear wheel fell off too!
Actually, now that you mention it, I had a soldier tell me (when I was in the army) that one of my vehicles lost it's back right tire. The mechanics did a tire rotation and forgot to put the lug nuts back on and drove it out of the motor pool loaded with ammo. The tire fell out right in front of the Brigade HQ!

Jigger, thanks for your help and information, I really appreciate it. I could not pull the spark plug wires to look for spark because they were on real tight and I couldn't get a good grip on them. I did check for current at the distibuter and got current so I am thinking fuel. I can change the fuel filter but I'll have to do some research on the pressure gage and connections. Once I know what to look for I can usually do the work. Next stop, Auto Zone. Thanks. Throwing parts at it. Boy, thats no lie.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-29-2009, 02:26 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Corona Ca
Posts: 95
jigger is on a distinguished road
Default

For the fuel pressure there is a test port between the fire wall and the plenum, looks like a tire valve thingie. It sticks straight up, it's called a schrader valve. Take off the black cap and put a rag under it then push the little pin and it should squirt a little gas even with the engine off, JUST BE CAREFUL! If it dosen't squirt at all then you got no fuel pressure at all. There sould be some static pressure with out the thing running. Next step the fuel filter, it's next to the frame around the driver's door. When you take it loose it WILL drip fuel have a pan and some rags handy!
The autozone test kit has directions- just follow them and see what you got! You hook it up to the above mentioned schrader valve, it's really easy.
THAT'S IT GOOD LUCK
__________________
95 pos-10 vin-w
mods: new duct tape and non-rusty bailing wire
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-29-2009, 02:39 PM
swartlkk's Avatar
Administrator
2009 GMC Yukon Denali
My Garage
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Waterloo, NY
Posts: 36,874
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to swartlkk Send a message via AIM to swartlkk
Default

Start here:
96+ Fuel System Diagnosis

Give us the SPECIFIC fuel pressure reading as well as the pressure drop after the pump shuts off. Just putting a screw driver to the schrader valve won't tell you much. Sure it'll tell you if there is pressure, but unless you can tell the difference between 50psi and 60psi...

The fuel pressure test port is located right on top of the engine on the main fuel feed line (different location than on the CPI engines).
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-29-2009, 04:07 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Corona Ca
Posts: 95
jigger is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
The fuel pressure test port is located right on top of the engine on the main fuel feed line (different location than on the CPI engines).
DANG! GOT ME AGAIN! Once again I yield to the smart guys!!!
__________________
95 pos-10 vin-w
mods: new duct tape and non-rusty bailing wire
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-30-2009, 06:11 PM
Beginning Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 33
Rhodes19 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigger View Post
For the fuel pressure there is a test port between the fire wall and the plenum, looks like a tire valve thingie. It sticks straight up, it's called a schrader valve. Take off the black cap and put a rag under it then push the little pin and it should squirt a little gas even with the engine off, JUST BE CAREFUL! If it dosen't squirt at all then you got no fuel pressure at all. There sould be some static pressure with out the thing running. Next step the fuel filter, it's next to the frame around the driver's door. When you take it loose it WILL drip fuel have a pan and some rags handy!
The autozone test kit has directions- just follow them and see what you got! You hook it up to the above mentioned schrader valve, it's really easy.
THAT'S IT GOOD LUCK
Thanks Jigger. I actually know what you are talking about! I was looking at it yesterday and thougth "that was a strange place to pump air in". I'll see about getting off early tomorrow and stop by Auto Zone for the kit. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartlkk View Post
Start here:
96+ Fuel System Diagnosis

Give us the SPECIFIC fuel pressure reading as well as the pressure drop after the pump shuts off. Just putting a screw driver to the schrader valve won't tell you much. Sure it'll tell you if there is pressure, but unless you can tell the difference between 50psi and 60psi...

The fuel pressure test port is located right on top of the engine on the main fuel feed line (different location than on the CPI engines).
Thanks swartlkk. Looks like I have some homework tonight. I'll do the test tomorrow night and I'll post the results. Thanks again for your help. I appreciate what you and jigger are doing for me.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-02-2009, 09:33 AM
Beginning Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 33
Rhodes19 is on a distinguished road
Default

Well, bummer. I stopped at AutoZone (2 of them) and an Advanced Auto Parts and none of them had a fuel pressure test kits to borrow or rent. Could buy them for $42 if they where in stock. I'll look around and see if I can find one to use. If all else fails, I'll have to buy one.

I did however, check the fuel test port and some gas did come out. Not much though. I tried to crank the car again, rechecked and got some more fuel to come out. Again, not much. As soon as I can get a test kit I'll post the results. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-02-2009, 08:39 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Corona Ca
Posts: 95
jigger is on a distinguished road
Default

If you have Kragen/ O'Riley they have them too.
__________________
95 pos-10 vin-w
mods: new duct tape and non-rusty bailing wire
Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:39 PM
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
2002, 98, 99, blazer, car, chevy, cranks, diagnosis, dosent, fuel, port, pump, start, test, turn, wont


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
Our Sponsors

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:04 AM.

Internet Brands, Inc.



SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.