2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

96 Blazer inline vs. in tank fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 04:30 PM
TREKTRAVEL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 96 Blazer inline vs. in tank fuel pump

I am the 2nd owner of a 96 4 door, 4x4 v6 midsize blazer.
Since 1997 when I bought this, I have put in a minimum of 5 in the tank fuel pumps, not sure if they are junk or if the gas in Denver, Co is just THAT BAD. ( I try to keep my fuel level above 1/4 tank)
Either way, I am once again having to replace my pump and am seriously considering going with an inline pump. It is such a pain in the butt to drop the spare tire, drop the tank, replace the pump, jack the tank back up, fiddle with the connecting lines,etc. I have estimated that it takes me a total of 8 hours each time.
Would love to hear other's experiences with this conversion. Who has the best pump, things I should avoid, best way to wire the new pump into the system, etc.
I know the initial install / set up of an inline is going to be labor intensive, but in the long run, it HAS to be better than 8 hours EVERY TIME!

Old 06-30-2011, 01:31 AM
kristoph30 is on a distinguished road

Have you done an autopsy on the pumps that have failed? What types were they and what did they do when they failed? Something is killing the pumps. My bet would be low voltage due to a bad connection somewhere.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:19 AM
Question

3 or 4 of the pumps were the Airtek pumps from Advanced and aren't known for having a long lifespan. (Didn't know that at the time)
The last pump was from Napa, don't remember the brand, but it actually lasted 5 years.
I do a lot of driving and I suppose that 5 pumps in 14 years isn't too horrible, but it is a pain in the butt to change them.
I am more interested in how to change it to an inline at this point than I am in WHY the pumps go out.
Anyone got any advice on converting to inline??

Old 06-30-2011, 04:31 PM
step66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmmmm Seems like you have tank corrosion issues! Or at least fuel line problems. Regardless if you swap out a pump-all Hoses must be checked and changed as well,including those nasty little plastic fittings-and that is always fun!

Old 06-30-2011, 04:42 PM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS ... ALWAYS use an AC Delco/Delphi Fuel Pump! I suggest giving the tank a good looky-loo for corrosion/debris on your next change out. Inspect the dead pump for signs of failure, and I seriously suggest pressure testing the rest of the system, as something is possibly causing your pump to overwork itself! Hope it helps!

Originally Posted by TREKTRAVEL
3 or 4 of the pumps were the Airtek pumps
We knew that just by the post!

I am more interested in how to change it to an inline at this point than I am in WHY the pumps go out.
This is why they keep going out! You cannot band-aid a broken leg, well you can, but the leg will still get infected and nasty unless you do more then a Band-Aid.)

Your truck needs a fuel system diagnosis or your going to just keep throwing money at it!

Last edited by Ugly_Monkey; 06-30-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:50 PM

I agree but I suspect it may be an electrical issue. If something is killing the in-tank pump the its going to kill the in-line pump also. it doesnt care where it is located. Granted, you did use an aftermarket pump and you did get 5 years out of it.

You said you drive alot. how much is alot?

If I had friends but they would die if they came over to my house I would be more interested in WHY they are dying rather than trying to find a new friend.

Just my opinion.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:11 AM
Talking Autopsy instructions?

Ok,
I understand that I need to find out why they keep going out.
I was always under the impression that the fuel pump was kinda like the front brake pads. Chevy had a design flaw in it.
Just like clock work, the front pads HAVE to be changed every 12,000 miles or your rotors are chewed up.
I have had more than 1 Chevy Tech tell me that there were issues with the pumps and wiring harness's, so I have taken for granted that this was just how the Blazer is.
I understand that a couple / few of the pumps were junk to begin with and wouldn't give a long lifespan (hind sight)
I don't know what the Napa pump brand was, the receipt shows DFP as the line code, so it could infact be a Delphi
A couple mechanics are now telling me that the Bosch pumps are currently the best on the market.
As for how much I drive, think "delivery truck."
There are many days I make 15 trips out and back, other days are only a couple of trips out and back -- kinda all depends on work, the kids, the pets, etc.
I know I should probably keep the tank above 1/2, but it's not always in the cards. I do usually try to keep it about 1/4 full, so I know that contributes to the problem also -- heat build up--
So
On that note, I am going to go pull my spare, and start dropping the tank.
Please let me know what I need to look for once the pump is out so I can help prevent this same cause of outage in the future.
I would also be interested in hearing how long other peoples pumps last.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:31 AM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

The pumps are cooled by the gas in the tank. If you regularly and consistently run it to 1/4 tank (and below), I would say that's your biggest issue. Are you changing the fuel filter regularly as well? Run any fuel system cleaner (Chevron w/ Techron) through it once in a while?

I can't speak exactly for what to look for on the dead fuel pumps, but my guess would be anything amiss due to being overheated. Melted/broken wires, etc.

I'm at 115k and still on my stock pump. I used to run it 350-400 miles before filling up before I learned about keeping the pump cool by having 1/2 tank or more. Now I run it 250 miles (give or take) between fillups.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:54 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

I was always under the impression that the fuel pump was kinda like the front brake pads. Chevy had a design flaw in it.
Just like clock work, the front pads HAVE to be changed every 12,000 miles or your rotors are chewed up...
WTF? That is simply not true, at least not on later model Blazers. If you are having that issue, the problem lies in your particular brake assembly.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:47 PM

I would look for overheated wires first. especially at connections.

Then I would literally take the pump apart. Look at the color of the windings. do they look over heated? Check the brushes and commutator. Every pump I have pulled apart failed in the brush department.

Yes I agree the pump is cooled by the fuel. BUT i do not agree that running the tank low will cause it to overheat. The pumped fuel runs through the motor so if the pump is moving fuel, it is being cooled.

"There are a couple of reasons why your fuel pump will fail, be it electric or mechanical. Electric fuel pumps can experience wear and tear on the armature, brushes or bearings. In addition, roller gears and pump vanes can also wear down. This will cause a gradual loss of pressure and poor engine performance. Some causes of fuel pump failure can include rust or dirt because they can get past the inlet filter sock, which is designed to filter these sediments. When this occurs the fuel pump will break down because of contaminants that have infiltrated the pump and cause it to jam. This will result in having the motor overheat and burn out. Sometimes a fuel pump will not work properly if it is not given the proper amount of fuel needed to run adequately. Your vehicle’s fuel pump relies on fuel running through it to cool and lubricate it. Starving your fuel pump for fuel can cause your vehicle's fuel pump to fail prematurely. Mechanical fuel pumps usually rupture the diaphragm that is used as the pump, and will leak a small amount of fuel externally (from the weep hole) or just not have pressure."

Plagerized from a google search.

Quick Reply: 96 Blazer inline vs. in tank fuel pump