2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Temp and Fuel gauges both stuck in position, no change after sensor replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2020, 04:00 PM
Starting Member
TheMrRyan is on a distinguished road
Default Temp and Fuel gauges both stuck in position, no change after sensor replacement.

I have a 98 LS 4x4 and currently both my fuel and temp gauges are down.

Part 1. My fuel gauge stays at full most of the time, it will occasionally move maybe a notch or two down, and then will drop completely to e with a low fuel warning light. If I shake I simply rock the truck a little, the fuel jumps back up to max full. This I feel is straight forward but just want to ensure I purchase the correct part.

Part 2. My temp gauge is set at 0 at all times. Additionally I had a check engine light and code for a bad temperature sensor, so I replaced it. (I bought this truck for $400 like 3 weeks ago, it had a lot of neglect, but a lot of potential and I am trying to do what I can to get some use out of it.) The temp sensor down on the block in between spark plugs was the sensor I replaced. The previous sensor appeared to have melted at the plug, so I ensured that a new plug and wiring were properly spliced in along with the new sensor as I did find some frayed wiring along the line as well. I am getting a test 5 volts to this plug, and the sensor is of good quality and brand new, yet I still am not seeing a change in temp on my gauges. When you start the truck the gauge maybe moves a fraction of a milimeter and stops. Doesn't make a difference if it's unplugged or plugged in, yet there is voltage to the sensor. At a loss, assuming it's the gauge?

This is my first post so If anything here is of annoyance I apologise beforehand, and appreciate anyone who takes the time to respond.

Old 11-20-2020, 10:01 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

1) What do feel is the issue in #1?

2) Do you have a scanner with live data so that you can see what the ECT reading is as reported by the OBDII port and the PCM?

George

Old 11-20-2020, 10:29 PM
Starting Member

Number one I feel is the fuel pump sensor relay ( I believe it's called), the float?.

Secondly, yes borrowing one from father in law tomorrow to check. Thanks!

Old 11-20-2020, 11:13 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

1) Sending unit

2) Let us know what the reported ECT value is and we can go from there.

George

Old 11-20-2020, 11:36 PM
Starting Member

Greatly appreciate your help George, I'm a beginner mechanic, and new to the Chevy's especially. I will report back with the reading tomorrow. Thanks again!