2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

GAS LEAK! Leaking out from the gastank

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 09:05 AM
Starting Member
Sterling is an unknown quantity at this point
Default GAS LEAK! Leaking out from the gastank

Well i wake up this morning, and my mom wants me to move my car so she can get out of the garage (i have the oldest car so i get stuck outside... damn nissan for their brand new lease cars every year) and i see a note on my car, it reads "You have a gasleaking from your car, find out where ASAP! Dad"

great way to start a day, hungover from partying AND a Gasleak! woohoo

I jacked it up and took a look, it was only leaking because it was parked on my Steep driveway, i leveled it out and it quit leaking. Not too much gas leaked out over night, maybe a cup or two max.

It seemed to be leaking from the top of the gas tank right around where the metal fuel lines attach in the back, maybe its a bad gaskget?

EDIT: I'll drop the spare tire and jack it up some more in a bit and check it out further to see if i can find out the EXACT spot its leaking from, but like i said, the definate general direction is from on top of the gastank, on the drivers side, towards the rear

Old 06-04-2008, 11:56 AM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: GAS LEAK! Leaking out from the gastank

If it's coming out the rear hose, then the hose might be bad. One thing to note is that if your tank has ever been removed before, the hoses may have been replaced with the wrong type (i.e. radiator hose). Radiator hose looks the same as fuel hose, but it's not designed to stop gas from eating through it. My buddy and I found this out when we were replacing my fuel pump.

If it turns out you have to drop the fuel tank anyway to replace the hoses, I would also check for fuel pump problems, as well as the fuel lines, electrical connections, and damage to the tank itself. This is so that I don't have to drop the tank again any time soon.[:'(] Also be careful not to break the evap valve at the top front left of the tank. A replacement was $26 at the stealership.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:28 PM
Starting Member
dBsound is an unknown quantity at this point

Could someone have tried to cut the hose, to steal your gas? When I bought my 98 Jimmy back, after being totalled, the hose going into the tank had been cut, by the guys at the impound, for them to steal the gas! I know one of these guys, and occasionally drink with him. He said(months later), "we didn't know it was yours, Dave. We do it all the time".

Yeah, well, you're still a ****ing thief!

Old 06-05-2008, 02:11 PM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, and here`s why. There`s a ping-pong ball in the fuel filler tube that prevents siphoning from the filler. Cutting it at the rubber hose allows them to siphon right from the tank.

And yeah, they`re still thieves.LOL