2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Glorious Spark Plug

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 12:32 PM
Starting Member
LuckyAce is on a distinguished road
Default Glorious Spark Plug

Read a lot on here about spark plug 3 being a pain in the a$$. I tried doing it a while ago before just saying screw it and letting it stay in there, but would like to get it out when the weather improves (no garage). When reading through here earlier I found a post with a link to a special tool made by GM designed to take this plug out with ease, but can't find the link again, all I find are people referencing it. Does anyone have a link to someone selling this tool? If I remember correctly it looked like any old socket, but the square where you put the wrench was off to the side.

I have tried using a chain of socket joints with no success so just going to bite the bullet and pay the $60 for the tool instead of $70 for some shop to do it for me.

Old 01-16-2017, 12:57 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

after doing a bunch of these and trying every swivel and tool i had i just move the steering shaft. as long as the truck isnt a rotted turd the shaft usually comes off and goes back on rather easily. its just a extra 10 minutes and you dont have to fight with it or buy a special tool

ive also noticed it seems to vary with different trucks on how hard it is to get too. im guessing it has to do with blown or bad motor mounts which makes the motor lower

Old 01-16-2017, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

^ what he said! I just did plugs and wires on my son's blazer yesterday and by pulling the steering shaft I was finished in about 30min with the entire job including cap and rotor! With the shaft outta the way you can very easily get to #3 and #5 from the top as well as through the fender.

Old 01-16-2017, 06:39 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

x's 3, remove the one bolt on the shaft at the gearbox and get that thing out of the way, then go in through the driver's wheel well and there's plenty of room

Old 01-17-2017, 06:57 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

I just put the spark plug socket on the spark plug with no ratchet and use a wrench to remove/install the spark plug. Works for me.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:45 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by AJBert
I just put the spark plug socket on the spark plug with no ratchet and use a wrench to remove/install the spark plug. Works for me.
Me also very easy

Old 01-30-2017, 10:09 PM
mojarraman is on a distinguished road

Did same as newguy except I AM the new guy.
Also ditto ... did same as AJBert.

This forum is MISLEADING REGARDING REMOVAL OF #3 PLUG "as it" (or "if" it) refers to a stock 2004 Blazer 4.3L engine. Speaking from experience; if not, I'm a lyin' mo fo.

"I just put the spark plug socket on the spark plug with no ratchet and use a wrench to remove/install the spark plug. Works for me": YES. TRUE. FACT.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Coulda saved me two or three hours mind-numbing subterfuge stemming from endless redundant and fruitless searching of countless threads this forum SIMPLY: "to know that TRUE FACT" -- the 10,000 useless and pointless rehashes regarding plug #3 are INSANE -- and mods need to fix that?? Yes, I saw the sticky "summary" post about #3 plug but that's ... well ... er ... uh ... a dirty band-aid.

Of course, quickly rolling rocking reeling (i.e., aggressively "sliding") the ORANGE RUBBER SLEEVE that covers the steering shaft "down and out of the way" simultaneous to (merely) "sliding" the plastic housing
[RUBBER SLEEVE also covers the plastic housing slightly] "up and out of the way" (PERHAPS?) makes the job so easy.

Last, maybe it helps to spell out: the "I just use a wrench" part (perhaps) insinuates using a 19mm "flex-head" ratcheting end wrench applied to spark plug socket WITH the HEX END [COMMONLY MANUFACTURED spark plug socket (with hex end) READILY AVAILABLE TO BE USED FOR THIS EXPRESS PURPOSE]. A cheater bar or a pry bar to the end wrench might help greatly ... I had to "apply pry-bar the 19mm wrench" to pop it loose ... but I'm no muscle man ... So maybe ANY wrench on the hex end of the spark plug wrench will work? -- I can only say I opted for the ratcheting flex-head 19mm right off -- and it was REAL trick & REAL quick.
~~~
~~~
~~~

OP: "can I get a tutorial on opening plug wire retainer clips on 01 blazer?" 1. poster: "Ok, so I have tried on numerous occasions to open these stupid clips. Small flathead screwdriver, picks, big screwdriver, cussing etc. Could someone please take the time to take a few pictures of how you open these?"
2. poster: "THE GM WIRE LOOMS ARE MADE TO BE OPENED STRAIGHT ON WITH A FLAT BLADED SCREWDRIVER, THAT'S OKAY WHEN THE ENGINE IS ON A DOLLEY DURING ASSEMBLY BUT WHEN GM SHOE HORNED THIS 4.3L V6 INTO THE BLAZER (S10) FRAME."
3. poster: "For me, those clips were the most difficult part of the tune-up. I used a small screwdriver to pop open the end of the clips, but the retainer at the rear of the engine requires 4 men and a horse to get open."
4. poster: "Ok what is you guys method of removing the spark plug wire retainer clips on the 2001 blazer? I'm trying not to break them. Was trying to use a screwdriver to depress the sides and pull forward and getting nowhere. Thought I would ask before I break the thing off."
... &tc &tc &tc
~~~
~~~
~~~
I'll be God D'med if these clips {they are called "Separators" or "Dividers" damn it!} and EVERYTHING (apart from above) about them isn't a steaming pile of horse sheet.
NOBODY AND I MEAN NOBODY IS BEING HONEST ABOUT HOW FREAKIN' DIFFICULT THOSE PLUG/IGNITION WIRE DIVIDERS/SEPARATORS ARE TO RELEASE. SURE, CUT THE PLUG WIRES FIRST, AND REMOVE, BUT THAT'S STILL NOT THE WHOLE STORY. A CRYIN FREAKIN' NIGHTMARE THOSE "THINGYS" ARE - AND YOU'S A LYIN' MO FO IF YOU SAY OTHERWISE (least ON A 2004 BLAZER 4.3L) - end of story.

DOES NOBODY CHANGE PLUG WIRES AROUND HERE??

Old 01-30-2017, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

First off if you need any sort of extra leverage to loosen a spark plug they are in there WAY to tight!! Second there are many ways to remove the #3 plug and no one way is right or wrong it's just a matter of preference. Thirdly those clips are some of the easiest clips I've ever dealt with in a vehicle as far as retaining clips go! Take a flat blade screwdriver and put it flat on the end of the clip next to the "cap" portion of the retainer and rotate the screwdriver as if you are loosening a screw and it will open right up easy as can be!

Old 01-31-2017, 12:39 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by blazen_red_4x4
x's 3, remove the one bolt on the shaft at the gearbox and get that thing out of the way, then go in through the driver's wheel well and there's plenty of room
x's 4

Old 01-31-2017, 12:42 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

or, you can put headers on, much easier access

Quick Reply: Glorious Spark Plug