2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Multifunction switch R/R question

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 09:45 PM
Beginning Member
BB3439 is on a distinguished road
Default Multifunction switch R/R question

It looks like I'll need to replace my Multifunction switch on my '99 Blazer (with tilt). Without having a Haynes or Clymer manual, how do I go about getting at the switch to remove it. Last weekend I had the plastic enclosure halves loose, but couldn't see how to remove the lever to release the tilt. I can't see how to proceed with that pesky lever in the way.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:02 PM
Beginning Member
cdw78 is on a distinguished road

IF, it's the same as the 97, the plastic cover over the tilt lever will slide off, if I remember correctly. Then 2 part kind hook into each other. I'm using my phone right now, so no access to the write up I had found last yr. Do a search here or googie, and you should find it. Good luck!

Old 08-04-2011, 11:14 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

1. Ensure the turn signal lever on the multifunction switch is in the neutral position or the off position.
  2. Remove the knee bolster. Refer to Knee Bolster Replacement in Instrument Panel, Gauges and Console.
  3. Loosen the steering column bracket nuts.
  4. Remove the steering column upper and lower shrouds. Refer to Steering Column Trim Cover Replacement - On Vehicle.
  5. Remove the 2 wire harness straps from the steering column wire harness.
  6. Remove the connector position assurance (CPA) retainer from the brake transmission shift interlock (BTSI).
  7. Disconnect the steering column bulkhead connector from the vehicle wire harness.
  8. Disconnect the gray and the black connectors of the switch from the column bulkhead connector.
  9. Remove the multifunction switch to the steering column mounting screws.
  10. Remove the multifunction turn signal/hazard switch.
INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Install the multifunction turn signal/hazard switch.
  •  
    • Use a small blade screwdriver in order to compress the electrical contact. Move the multifunction switch into the position.
    • Ensure the electrical contact rests on the canceling cam assembly.
NOTICE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

1. Install the multifunction switch to steering column mounting screws.
  •  
    • Tighten the multifunction switch mounting screws to 6 Nm (53 inch lbs.).
  1. Install the connectors of the switch to the column bulkhead connector.
  2. Install the steering column bulkhead connector to the vehicle wire harness.
  3. Install the connector and the connector position assurance (CPA) retainer to the BTSI.
  4. Install the 2 wire straps on the steering column wire harness.
  5. Install the steering column upper and lower shrouds. Refer to Steering Column Trim Cover Replacement - On Vehicle.
  6. Install the steering column bracket nuts.
  •  
    • Tighten the steering column bracket nuts to 30 Nm (22 ft. lbs.).
  1. Install the knee bolster. Refer to Knee Bolster Replacement in Instrument Panel, Gauges and Console.
  2. Ensure the lever is in the center or the OFF position.
sorry but my manual has the same procedure for tilt and standard and I cant find any reference on removing tilt lever. DO be careful of that tilt spring if oyu're messing around it

Attached Thumbnails Multifunction switch R/R question-mfs.gif  
Old 08-05-2011, 07:22 AM
chaoticdopey is on a distinguished road

^ 2x, i did it myself without a manuel asnd wow did it take forever, its a bit ch to do but you can get it, and when it comes down to the last GREEN wire above the steering shaft you actually will need to drop the 2 bolts holding the steering colum up and bend it down enough to get the wire off and a new one on. lots of fun

Old 08-05-2011, 06:25 PM
RonJon is an unknown quantity at this point

I pulled my steering wheel off and it was pretty straighforward. Other than the remote starter installer tapped into 3 wires on the harness I had to redo..... For one screw holding the top cover on you'll need an E-6 female torx socket. Just grab the tilt lever and pull it straight out.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:51 PM
Beginning Member
bernie11 is on a distinguished road

How do you get the steering wheel cover off on a 1999 Chevy Blazer 4x4 with tilt wheel. Can not get the cover off to get the wheel off. Any help would be great.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:30 AM
Beginning Member
BB3439 is on a distinguished road

I cannot be of much help, I didn't remove the wheel to replace my switch. I will say that it is VERY important that you disconnect the battery. You don't want an accidental airbag deployment.

I suspect that there are a couple of screws from the back side holding the cover and airbag to the wheel.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:10 PM
Beginning Member

My blazer has the radio volume and cruise controls on each side of the steering wheel. There is 1 torx screw and 1 metal/plastic clip. Torx screws came out with no problem. The clips I have used a flat screw driver but can not get them to release the center cover with the air bag. Any help would be great. I have battery disconnected and air bag fuse out. Thanks

Old 01-01-2012, 09:31 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

Here you go. Its kind of a pain to do it is possible with just a normal screw driver and a little time

Removal Procedure
Caution: Refer to Servicing the SIR System Caution in Cautions and Notices.
1. Disable the SIR system. Refer to Disabling the SIR System .
2. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position in order to unlock the steering wheel.
3. Turn the steering wheel 90 degrees from the straight-ahead position in order to gain access to the access holes behind the steering wheel.
4. Insert a screwdriver into each access hole and push the leaf spring to release the pin that retains the inflator module.

Pic- http://gsi.xw.gm.com/image_en_us/gif...245/245788.gif

5. Turn the steering wheel 180 degrees in order to gain access to the remaining access holes.
6. Insert a screwdriver into each access holes and push the leaf spring to release the pin that retains the inflator module.
7. Tilt the top of the inflator module rearward to gain access to the SIR wiring.
8. Disconnect the SIR lead wire from the clip on the inflator module.
9. Disconnect the SIR lead wire from the clip on the steering wheel.
10. Disconnect the connector position assurance (CPA) retainer.
11. Disconnect the electrical connector.
Caution: Refer to Inflator Module Handling Caution in Cautions and Notices.
12. Remove the inflator module from the vehicle.
13. Fully deploy the module before disposal. If the module was replaced under warranty, fully deploy and dispose of the module after the required retention period. Refer to Inflator Module Handling, Shipping, and Scrapping .

Old 01-02-2012, 03:06 PM
Beginning Member

I have done everything you have listed. Just can not seem to get those clips to move in order for the inflator module to release. Is there any sort of trick with the screw driver?? I appreciate your help. I am changing the 3 O2 sensors and then will go back and attempt this again. Just frustrating because it is hard to see and not sure how to get it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks