2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

need help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 11:59 AM
Starting Member
Charder is on a distinguished road
Default need help!

a few months back my tranny went on my 2001 blazer ls, when i finally got all the parts together i had my mechanic swap the trans, now he is saying that the odometer is off and the trans is not shifting properly and 4x4 will not engage, we get no lights from the switch on the dash. we thought it might be tccm so we swapped tccm with different one from junk yard and it still not shifting properly.

is there something else it could be?

my wifes windstar just blew up so we have no vehicles and im trying to help my mechanic figure this out asap so i can atleast have one vehicle..

btw anyone thinking about buying a windstar,or ford in general,, just walk away!!
i was told after i bought the windstar that once it hits 100k the motor will go and low and behold 101800 the motor went!

Old 06-09-2013, 12:24 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Have you checked both terminals of each fuse in both fuse panels? Does the check engine light come on, and then go off, with the bulb check? Is the check engine light on when the engine is running? If so, what DTC's are in memory?

The 4WD issue is a nonrelated problem. 4WD will not affect transmission shift points. There is a separate diagnosis procedure for 4WD, but get the transmission working properly first, then we can deal with the 4WD.

Old 06-09-2013, 12:43 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Have you checked both terminals of each fuse in both fuse panels? Does the check engine light come on, and then go off, with the bulb check? Is the check engine light on when the engine is running? If so, what DTC's are in memory?

The 4WD issue is a nonrelated problem. 4WD will not affect transmission shift points. There is a separate diagnosis procedure for 4WD, but get the transmission working properly first, then we can deal with the 4WD.
i know he said it kept blowing the tccm fuse under the hood.
the CEL comes on with bulb check then goes off, no DTCs
but the abs light stays on which is new since the trans swap

Last edited by Charder; 06-09-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:48 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

You'll need to retrieve the DTC with an ABS capable scan tool. After you have the DTC, we can point you in the right direction. If the VSS, (Vehicle Speed Sensor) data is not received by the PCM, the transmission will not shift properly, AND the 4WD may not engage. Could be a problem with wiring or the sensor itself. Don't purchase any parts until it is diagnosed properly.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:16 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
You'll need to retrieve the DTC with an ABS capable scan tool. After you have the DTC, we can point you in the right direction. If the VSS, (Vehicle Speed Sensor) data is not received by the PCM, the transmission will not shift properly, AND the 4WD may not engage. Could be a problem with wiring or the sensor itself. Don't purchase any parts until it is diagnosed properly.
k ill talk to my mechanic and see if he has that capability to scan the the abs codes and see if he has checked the wiring and/or sensor..

update: he said that he has replaced the VSS already.

Last edited by Charder; 06-09-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:41 PM
AndrewO1991 is on a distinguished road

what year trans did you get? And im having trouble understanding why the odometer is off just by changing the trans

Old 06-09-2013, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Charder
he said that he has replaced the VSS already.
Apparently that's not the problem. Did he follow the diagnostic flow chart to find the problem, or just guess? Post the DTC and we can post the proper flow chart. Certainly sounds like the PCM is not receiving correct data from the VSS. Might want to look into the TCCM fuse blowing, but again, the proper flow chart will find the problem.

As long as the "new" transmission is a 4L60E, it should work fine. Shift points are determined and controlled by the PCM. Vehicle speed and odometer is calculated by the PCM and BCM.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:34 PM
Starting Member

The "new" trans was from a 99 blazer 4x4..

I'm not sure how he came up with the decison to change the VSS. I know he has a buddy that works for GM and has had home bring over a tech 2 scanner.. Idk Wat they came up with..

but, He told me today that he thinks it the trans that he put in.he says that it has to be a trans from a 2001 blazer but i was under the impression that all 4l60e trans from 98+ were interchangable..am I wrong??

Old 06-12-2013, 07:20 PM

As long as the "new" transmission is a 4L60E, it should work fine. Shift points are determined and controlled by the PCM. If it's from a 99, it should bolt right up to your 01.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:45 PM
Starting Member
blown262 is on a distinguished road

Captain, I noticed in 99, these had the black PCM with the cooling fins on top, but my 01 has an aluminum PCM and a completely different harness. Is it possible that there is something different in the wiring from a 99 to an 01?

Quick Reply: need help!