2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

P0171, P0174, P0300 Possible Vacuum Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 02:09 PM
ICEMAN616 is on a distinguished road
Question P0171, P0174, P0300 Possible Vacuum Leak?

My 2001 blazer 4dr 4x4 has had very rough idle lately. I have also been experiencing a lack of power starting from 0. It seems to stumble (even stall sometimes) before it moves. I have recently change oil, air filter, fuel filter, fuel pump, and cleaned the MAF. My obd software shows a purge leak test failure and a small vacuum leak failure. However I am not able to find one. Any help would be great!

Old 08-10-2011, 08:17 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

P0171 - Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 1
P0174 - Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 2
P030x - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected

The misfire is likely a product of the lean codes. Have you tested the fuel pressure? Do you have any exhaust leaks? When was the last time you had a tuneup (plugs, wires, cap, & rotor)? You can check for vacuum leaks with an unlit propane torch by tracing along the vacuum lines. A vacuum leak could cause the lean codes as well.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:54 AM

thanks for the reply! i have all of my tune up parts ready to be installed this weekend. While im at it i will also check for leaks with a prop torch.
EDIT:
Well I just tuned it up today (plugs, wires, cap, rotor) and the fuel pump is a new acdelco so I don't suspect that. It does seem to run much better now. I did also check for vac leaks with carb cleaner and didn't find any. All fluids and filters have also been changed. The only thing I noticed was that the throttle body plate was very dirty. I hope cleaning it will make the truck run even better.

Last edited by ICEMAN616; 08-13-2011 at 07:03 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:07 PM
Starting Member
iamchevyman5 is an unknown quantity at this point

replace O2 sensors and thank me later. I had the exact same combination (PO300, PO171, PO174) on my Chevy Avalanche. I replaced the plugs and plug wires (as you said you've just done) and replaced all four O2 sensors (you can probably get away with just the 2 pre-cat if you're trying to save $) and after I did that I cleared the codes, they went away, and the truck ran like the day we drove it off the lot. For $50 per O2 sensor, my bet is that it'll be running great.

I know you probably think it's crazy and totally unrelated to the problem, but I'm tellin' ya, I had the exact same thing. The Avvy had around 200k miles on it and the O2s were ancient, so I think maybe they had gotten so bad that the readings they were giving were so bad that it screwed up the fuel:air ratio.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:08 AM

@iamchevyman5
I do remember reading somewhere that it might be a lazy o2 sensor contributing to my problems. Well after driving a few miles with the new plugs, wires, etc., it seemed to be running better but soon started its crap again. I will clean the throttle body and replace the pcv valve (probably won't have any effect but haven't changed them). I'll also give changing the o2 sensors a go. It makes sense that they can be causing the problem. Are all the sensors the same because acdelco.com only has AFS105 listed and if I remember correctly I have 3 in total.

@swartlkk
Those links were very helpful understanding exactly what the problem was.

Last edited by ICEMAN616; 08-15-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:21 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, all 3 sensors are the same. Only the ones closest to the exhaust manifolds, before the 'y' in the y-pipe need to be replaced as the 3rd one is only for catalyst monitoring and has no bearing on fuel delivery.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:44 PM
Starting Member
iamchevyman5 is an unknown quantity at this point

keep us updated, brahh

Old 08-17-2011, 07:33 PM
Starting Member
justinh4578 is on a distinguished road

Could this be the cause of my problems? my 96 blazer 4.3 is running rough from the start(0 mph +) and if i'm just cruising at 45 50mph it starts cutting out.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:08 PM
Administrator

justinh4578, You are more than welcome to follow along in this thread, but unless your problem exactly matches the OPs...lets keep your discussion in your thread.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:50 PM
Starting Member
justinh4578 is on a distinguished road

lol. Gotcha. Wasnt trying to hijack. Amazon has the AC Delco $39.75 free shipping

Quick Reply: P0171, P0174, P0300 Possible Vacuum Leak?