2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel Filter

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 09:10 PM
mjt
Starting Member
mjt is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel Filter

I would like to know how people remove the quick connect on the fuel filter. You cant put that silly tool in there because the canister is too close to the fitting. One friend says he breaks the locking tab and uses the new one that comes with the filter. I didnt see that in my service manual. Yeah all you need to do is break that fuel line connector and your screwed. Where do you buy these fuel lines? NAPA doesnt have them. I ended up cutting the tub off the canister then I could insert the tool. These fuel lines and connections are crap. If you need a tool thats fine but make sure the tool fits. The tool doesnt fit on the fuel pump either.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:35 PM
wrenchturner3529 is on a distinguished road

I purchased the tool in a set of I think three from Auto Zone. Never had a problem using it.
Dorman/2 pcs. fuel line disconnect tool (800-018) | Line Disconnect Tool | AutoZone.com_

This brand also has "Retainers are also offered separately incase one breaks during disconnection and service."

Old 06-01-2011, 06:48 AM
mjt
Starting Member

That doesnt work for fuel pump or fuel filter

Old 06-01-2011, 12:09 PM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point

What year veh are u working on? i have an 02 and theres no plastic clips on my fuel filter.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:52 PM
step66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmmm... Have you ever worked on a fuel system before? So simple it may be done in ones sleep! They are simply plastic slip clips that withdrawl easily without breaking using no less than a small screwdriver and some needlenose! Replace the old ones with new upon re-install!

Old 06-01-2011, 07:50 PM
mykeboy01 is on a distinguished road

I just did mine about a month ago...all I used was an allen wrench, pushed the white tab on the filter up while pushing out towards the filter, pushed the bottom tab in, and wham...gas on my face!

Old 06-01-2011, 10:12 PM
wrenchturner3529 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by mjt
That doesnt work for fuel pump or fuel filter
My apologies. I should have checked my tool box and the manual. That tool is for an old mustang I had.

Sorry for the bad post.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:22 AM
mjt
Starting Member

Yeah I worked on it. Just did the fuel pump and filter on a 99. Good luck with your two little screwdrivers - maybe on the fuel filter. My point was the tool made for the job doesnt even work. I had the tool and doesnt fit - the design sucks. You can barely reach the fittings to disconnect on the fuel pump. No way your putting two little screw drivers in there.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:24 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Used two small screw drivers on many fuel pumps and never had an issue, including a few on s-series trucks. But please keep blaming the design...

Old 06-02-2011, 08:58 PM
mjt
Starting Member

Didnt see that in the Service Manual. You cant even get your hands in there let alone two little screw drivers.

Quick Reply: Fuel Filter