2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Lug nuts wont come off...

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 08:39 PM
nofear17bmx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lug nuts wont come off...

Ok well I stripped a lug nut on my tire trying to get it off. Any suggestions on how I should get it off?

Old 12-17-2006, 02:12 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Lug nuts wont come off...

could try taping the lug nut to see if you can get a grip, if not, i dunno, a shop could prolly do it.......

Old 12-17-2006, 07:24 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

I have used a cut off tool to cut and split the nut and then a cold chizel to finish the removal. Then replace the stud and nut.

Old 12-17-2006, 08:54 PM
MNHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

Depending on how rounded it is and if you are using a standard or metric socket to remove them, there are several ways to go.
If using a standard then switch to a metric (and vise versa). Might have to tap it on, but might save you some time.

Hard to get a nut spliter in there due to a resesed mount in the rim (unless you have those steal rims or open center alumin)
if all else fails then just goto your local tire shop and have them spin it off for you.

Old 12-17-2006, 09:22 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

To me, stripped refers to threads. Are the threads stripped or is the nut rounded? Does the nut turn but just not move on the stud?

Old 12-17-2006, 09:27 PM
nofear17bmx is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, I ment the nut was rounded. I guess I will try some of these methods...

Also where can I buy new studs and lug nuts?

Old 12-18-2006, 12:17 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

If its just a rounded nut, buy a socket and beat it on. You will never get teh socket off the nut so consider it a one shot deal. Your lug nuts should be 19mm, try a 18mm.

Now if hte nut is rounded because you ahve a cross threaded nut, that's a different story. You can try the same thing, however you will need a lot of torque to break that stud off. My gun puts out about 700ft pounds in reverse and I cna break most studs off. Most shops will have at least one gun around that will go up that high or higher and should be able to get it off.

However, there are times when an impact gun wont break a stud off. Then you need to dig out the drill and three drill bits. The largest 1/2" in diameter. Start with the smaller bits and work your way up. You will ahve to drill out the stud. That is hardened steel, this is going to suck and it will take you the better part of an hour of constant drilling. I sure hope this is a last resort.

You can buy replacement studs and nuts from the dealer, or local tire shop. Your local autoparts store might even carry them. Looking at less then $5 in parts. However it might take oyu another hour to replace it. Depends ont eh vehicle, and which axle its on. Drum brakes would be the hardest. And it might be a idea to service the brakes while your there.

Old 12-18-2006, 08:41 AM
Starting Member
lunatic_magnet is an unknown quantity at this point

i know my local autozone carries lugs and studs...

Old 12-18-2006, 11:04 AM
MNHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

you can get the lugnut out of the socket. Just put it in a vise and then hammer it out.

you can get them at your local Parts stores and most hardware stores carry some sizes also.

Old 12-19-2006, 01:29 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: MNHawk

you can get the lugnut out of the socket. Just put it in a vise and then hammer it out.

you can get them at your local Parts stores and most hardware stores carry some sizes also.
Yea, your right. Its just not worth the frustration and abuse to the hands when when I miss. [&:]

Quick Reply: Lug nuts wont come off...