2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Remote Start - What bypass kit/ module

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 07:10 PM
Beginning Member
codemanrose is on a distinguished road
Default Remote Start - What bypass kit/ module

So, I have installed a remote start in one of my past vehicles (95 Grand-AM) but with the whole newer passlock crap, Im so confused on what I NEED before I start. I want to order a viper system, but I want to know what kind of bypass Im gonna need. I have the passlock II and there is alot of different things out there, its confusing. Any input would be nice. Thanks!

oh, btw, I have a 1998 4WD blazer.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:26 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

dei 555lw

by far your most inexpensive one out their. also really cheap ones you have to leave a key in the box underneath your dash so the passlock can receive the correct resistance values. with the dei it programs it so you dont have to leave the key in.
you can find it on ebay

Old 01-29-2010, 08:21 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks alot man! Helps out alot!

Old 01-29-2010, 08:23 PM
Banned

yup no problem.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:57 PM
Beginning Member

another quick question,

I have power locks, so do i need a different one if i want to use the new remote for my power locks, tailgate release, panic button? just thought about that. noticed there is one just like the 555lw but it says door locks too.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:03 PM
Banned

idk for sure, i know in my manual it says 2003 and up gm models need the special bypass for the locks. i've actually ran into that problem your wondering about with my 2000 blazer. i got all the starting wires hooked up minus the bypass. now im working on the lock/unlocks. i know if you take a ground to the drivers unlock it will unlock the door and the same for the rear hatch. as far as passenger goes i know if i take + current to it, it will unlock. i posted a thread up a couple days ago on the lock question and i havent got a for sure answer. tomorrow im gonna try grounding it twice in sucession and see if it trips the passenger locks. this is how the keyless entry works. you hit the unlock once and the drivers door unlocks. hit it twice and all the doors unlock. i'll keep you posted on what i find out.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:15 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks. Sucks doing these now with all the security options on them now. Been searching on the internet all day on this also. And im still at it. If I find anything I will post up as well.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:35 PM
Banned

allright well figure it out eventually. yea if my vehicle was 95 or older i'd be done right now. i guess its nice if someone does break in to your vehicle though. at least they won't be able to take off with it.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:06 PM
Beginning Member

Very true.

Well, if this helps. Searched up both the passlock bypass modules for GM and lock interfaces, and there are ones that are two in one...but, at the bottom of all the pages, its says this.

"NOTICE: Keep in mind that vehicles that do not have separate doorlock modules (Blazer, Alero, etc..) will not work the Door locks!"

Old 01-29-2010, 10:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by codemanrose
Very true.

Well, if this helps. Searched up both the passlock bypass modules for GM and lock interfaces, and there are ones that are two in one...but, at the bottom of all the pages, its says this.

"NOTICE: Keep in mind that vehicles that do not have separate doorlock modules (Blazer, Alero, etc..) will not work the Door locks!"
i think they mean that for newer blazer 03-05(last year they made them RIP) they had a seperate module for the locks. security was a little more advanced. yours and my blazer alarms are either triggered through dome light or door locks. the newer blazer had some way to measure current and determine when a door was openned... it goes into a lot more detail but basically the newer blazer had alot more security "crap" that had to be bypassed to make the remote starts work. one way it was good was alot of remote starts were more "plug and play". downside for the consumer (you & I) its alot more expensive.

Quick Reply: Remote Start - What bypass kit/ module