2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Reverse Turn Clunk

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 07:50 PM
Starting Member
Hauntme131 is on a distinguished road

yes they do. Just take off the wheel, caliper, rotor, then 3 bolts and they're off.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:54 PM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough

I'm hoping it's the hub. I've changed wheel hubs on other vehicles before and they're much easier than what I've heard about the UCA bushings.

So how do I check the hub? I've changed them out when they're making whining noises or getting hot but as far as I know these hubs aren't doing either of those things.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:02 AM
Starting Member
Hauntme131 is on a distinguished road

To be honest, I dont exactly know how to check them. I experienced the same problem as you a couple years back, after literally changing every front end part, I still had that damn pop/clunk noise every time I had the wheels turned while backing up. Finally someone said it might be the hubs. I figured, god I hope so, as there is nothing else to change, lol. Sure enough, after that the noise was gone. I think it takes a lot of torque to get them to pop, which is why you cant tell by just wiggling the wheel while the vehicle is jacked up, like you could do with some other front end parts. Just my 2 cents.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:03 AM
Beginning Member
laxman21 is on a distinguished road

I suggest you stop throwing money at it in parts and have a mechanic you trust look into the problem. To me, it sounds like it's the control arm bushings, bit I'm not there. If it is, do yourself a favor and replace them with poly ones not rubber.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:47 PM
coolasice will become famous soon enough

my best guess is cv axle...mine does the same thing but going forward... replacing axle sometime this week...

Old 12-01-2012, 08:13 AM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by coolasice
my best guess is cv axle...mine does the same thing but going forward... replacing axle sometime this week...
Please post results as im interested in this thread also thanks.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:04 PM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough

My first suspicion was the axles because I had just replaced the ball joints, tie rod ends, and idler arm. I had the truck at Graham Auto after I replaced everything and Rick never said anything about the control arm bushings and he's really good at double-checking my work.

For now I'm going to wait and do some more research and see what else I can find out.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:13 AM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road
Default Toby hanson

Its not difficult to tell if your upper control arm bushings are bad.Look under the hood or through the fenderwell and look at the rubber bushings on the back of control arm.If the rubber is detroriated then you need to change them.Your also going to have to undo the upper balljoint with may damge it in the process.Thats why I suggest just replace the whole A arms if thats your problem.You can get them at Rock auto very reasonable.While the maybe difficult its not impossible.With a little patiance it can be done.I would look at the lower control arms.I think thats where in your problem is.I have had the same problem before on other vehicles i owned.
If they are bad let your trusted mechanic do the job.Because of tortion bad suspension your going to bite of more than you do.I have done but it took 3 people.
PS if you need a set of control arms let me know I have a brand new set that we maybe able to work something out on.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:15 PM
coolasice will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by coolasice

nix that idea, not the axle... must be bushings... not going to touch til spring...

Old 12-03-2012, 02:58 PM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

To check the hubs you can jack it up and grab the tire and check for movement going north and south. If there bad you will get play going those directions.

Quick Reply: Reverse Turn Clunk