2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

stump the mechanics

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 12:52 PM
drodgers48 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default stump the mechanics

I have a 98 s10 blazer that several mechanics incledeing a mechanics teacher have looked at and are at a lost as to what is wrong. It drives good, no codes, everyting checks good, for all apperances is in tip top shape except it has gone from 20 mpg to 8 or 9 or 10 for no reason.Any one ever have this problem?

Old 02-27-2008, 12:58 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: stump the mechanics

[sm=welcomesign.gif]to the Forum. It's hard to imagine this kind of mileage loss without some other symptoms to go on. How's it running - rough, hesitation, no power at highway speed, etc?

Old 02-27-2008, 01:23 PM
drodgers48 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats the thing,it runs great , no hesitations no nothing, just a really nice running blazer that i love except for ths gas mileage problem. Trying to remember whether it came on suddenly or all at once and honestly can't remember for sure, but I am thinking that it just got alittle low and then lower and then worse over a couple fo weeks

Old 02-27-2008, 01:50 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

How are you calculating the mileage? Is it from the overhead trip meter?

For that large of a drop, you have some significant problems that should manifest themselves... I would start with a tune up if you cannot remember ever doing one (plugs, wires, cap & rotor). Clean the MAF sensor and EGR valve. Clean the throttle body. Check your fuel pressure and make sure that it doesn't drop more than a few PSI when you turn off the key.

Do you have a leaking fuel system?

Old 02-27-2008, 07:39 PM
972DRBLAZER is an unknown quantity at this point

what do your rpm's look like at 70mph? if you have a automatic, maybe you lost a gear. i know it sounds crazy, but just an idea.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:23 PM
BF Veteran
user 1016 has a spectacular aura aboutuser 1016 has a spectacular aura about

Check your vacuum on the front transfer case...if it's not good..it will always keep your front axle in gauged (sp)..that can significantly lower gas millage...and won't send a code..

even if your 4wd button works fine...still check it out...

Old 02-28-2008, 02:29 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

Tune up , also check your tire air pressure as well!!!

Old 02-28-2008, 02:05 PM
Matty Kling is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd also be interested in seeing how you are calculating the gas mileage...

Old 02-28-2008, 02:48 PM
George is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I'm not trying to be a smarty or hijack a post here,
but back when cars 6 Volt systems, I admit to "borrowing" a gallon or two of gas from a nerighbor's car or my parents car, and taking so little from a mostly full tank, they never noticed it.
I'm embarassed to admit, as gas was only 23 cents a gallon back then, but I didn't have a job
Just a thought, that a locking gas cap might tell a tale??

Old 02-28-2008, 03:41 PM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of

yea... thats how I fixed my gas mileage problems... My truck got terrible mileage while it was parked at school all week... went to wally-world and got a locking gas cap... I stopped losing gas..

Quick Reply: stump the mechanics