2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

slow starting, heat wont work

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 11:40 AM
chimpy581 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default slow starting, heat wont work

hey all im new here and my blazer is making me angry!

Sometimes it is REALLY slow to start, sometimes does not start @ all.
Over the summer the AC wouldnt work so i had my freind "fix" it
he stuck his key in what i thikn was the compressor and wiggled it around, started blowing nice and cold!

well now it is getting cold out and the heat wont blow warm, and the car over heats, and is slow to start sometimes so i now have to go aroudn wiht jugs of water to pour in the radiator and also a battery charger jumpstart thing incase my truck wont start.

i read somewhere that I can unplug the compressor clutch but im not sure where to do that
i think if i un did whatever this guy did to make the ac work the heat would be ok because last winter it was fine.

I am a girl who is very willing to learn this because im broke and my boyfreind does not know sht about cars. =p

SOMEBODY PLEASSSSSSSSE HELP MEEEE thanks guys!! =)

Old 09-12-2008, 11:47 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: slow starting, heat wont work

Your heat probably does not work because of the low coolant level. You most likely have air trapped in the system. You need to determine where your coolant is going. If it is overheating, it could be something as simple as a bad radiator cap or a failed thermostat. If you have overheated the engine, you may have done permanent damage to the motor.

I would start by making sure that you do not have coolant in the oil. Check the oil, if it is milky, then DO NOT run the engine any longer without draining the oil and refilling it. Then only run the engine to get someplace that can diagnose and fix the problems.

If your oil is good, then the next thing I would do is replace the thermostat and radiator cap, during which you should flush the cooling system (especially the heater core).

Old 09-12-2008, 11:52 AM

thanks-

how much does it cost to have somebody replace the thermostat?

and also, once in a while i hear this bubbling sound like a coffee machine. How do i know if it is the thermostat or the water pump?

The heat used to work fine and the car never overheated until this guy did the thing to make my ac work. after that it started doing this. now i dont need the ac and im screwed. ughhh.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Does the A/C compressor always run? With the engine running, pop the hood and look at the front of the compressor. If it is turning, the compressor is engaged. If the HVAC controls are turned off, the compressor should not turn.

It is possible that your friend did something to lock the compressor on at all times which may cause the engine to overheat (the A/C system cools inside, but heats the condenser in front of the radiator). It is not meant to be on all the time.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:06 PM

you know what ai am not sure lol umm this is going to sound silly because i dont really know anything about cars but
is the compressor the round thing to the right side of the coolant tank, that has a wire and a plastic plug in the top, but goes around in a circle when its running ....ugh i suck @ this!

if so then yea its running continuously. What this guy did is there was a wire thing with a plastic "plug" on the end, he stuck his key in the hole on top of what i think is the compressor, wiggled it around, plugged that thing in. I put the ac on and it worked great.

i dont know hwat the hvac control is. i know this makes it hard for you to help me but you seem to know what your doing =)

Old 09-12-2008, 12:13 PM
Administrator

The AC compressor is located on the driver side of the engine. It has large hoses coming out of the top of it.

What is on the passenger side is the alternator and that should spin all the time.

I am wondering if he bridged the connections in the low pressure switch connector. Could you take a picture of the engine, kind of pointing towards what was modified?

HVAC stands for Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning. The HVAC controls are what you use to control the fan inside as well as the temperature inside.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:16 PM

I could take a pic but im @ work righ tnow
(hardlly working though obviously!)

im going to find a picture of a blazer engine and then paste it on here and show you this mite take a few min.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:37 PM

i dont know if this picture is going to post but incase it does not here is the link.

http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...ent=blazer.jpg

where i circled and arrow pointing to that thing thats plugged in the top of that part, that is what he did. That peice was initially unplugged..he stuck his car key inthere wiggled it and then plugged that piece in.

hoep that helps.

[IMG]local://upfiles/11985/BC28FABBB5E745C784009C78B662E9A4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/11985/B0E9824856F04AF8A59A6714ED0E57CF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-12-2008, 01:45 PM
Administrator

Ok. That is the A/C Compressor clutch electrical connection. It is possible that at some point someone bent one of the pins in the compressor and he used his key to straighten the pin so that the connector could be properly plugged in. If that was the case, then there may be no problem with the A/C system. I do not know why someone would unplug that connector. Hopefully there are no other problems with the A/C system. Still verify that the clutch on the front of the compressor is not turning when you turn the HVAC module off (or just turn off the A/C by pressing the A/C button so that the light is off).

Old 09-12-2008, 01:54 PM

ok so check that nothing is turning on that thing?

what woudl cause me to have no heat?

annd how can i make the heat work again =p thanks!

Quick Reply: slow starting, heat wont work