2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Is there a way to make abs brakes old school

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 02:17 AM
ivannj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is there a way to make abs brakes old school

I really do not like my abs brakes and was reading how some people have trouble with them is there a way too make them none abs brakes.

Old 01-14-2006, 09:31 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Is there a way to make abs brakes old school

Simple, remove the fuse for the ABS. Don't know why you would want to do this if you system is working properly though... Not to mention that you might fail your inspection, depending on your state laws. ABS is a safety device. Even if you pull the fuse and then put it back in right before your inspection, you could still have something fail even with the sensor disconnected...

Old 10-22-2008, 11:19 AM
greenlantern77 is an unknown quantity at this point

what if you left the fuse in (so that you could still have cruise control) but pulled the ABS relay??

Old 10-22-2008, 02:50 PM
mysons95 is an unknown quantity at this point

Why don`t you like it? All it is doing is keeping your wheels from locking in the event you jam on the brakes on a slick surface. The brakes then flutter so you can still steer a bit instead of sliding in a straight line.

The other day I was out mudding. The mud hole had some fencing nearby. I came at the hole a little too fast and hit the brakes. The fence was coming closer and closer. I turned my wheel and was able to steer clear enough to keep from harming the front of my truck...all this with the brake pedal pressed hard.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:12 PM

my blazer is a 99 2dr zr2 and yes i am aware of the theory of an anti-lock braking system.
i dont "like" it becuasemine doesnt work. it was softly raining and i came up to an intersection and the abs activated and stayed one, rolling me up to the intersection and right into it (about 30 feet at about 5 mph), aka false activations. I dont know what the problem is (sensors, computer, etc.) but dont am assuming it is a bad sensor somewhere. I dont know if that means dirty, not plugged in, bad wires, or bad spacing or how to clean them or what the spacing should be. It costs 90$ to get the computer hooked up to it which may or may not tell you anything. I have no idea where the sensors are or how to get to them. I dont know how much it costs or how hard it is to replace one or more. From what Ive heard some of the sensors are in a whole assembly that needs to be replaced which sounds like $$$ and if the computer doesnt tell you which one you may end up replacing them all and finding out that it wasnt actually the sensors...and if one is going how long till the other(s) go. And......if someone knew what would happen if I put the fuse back in so I could use my cruise control and took out the ABS relay so I didnt encounter false activations which could drive me right into another car, pedistrian, tree, etc.; please let me know.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:57 PM
mysons95 is an unknown quantity at this point

Seems like someone said in a thread that AutoZone or some other auto parts store would hook a computer up free and give you the alert number.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:30 PM
blazin97 is on a distinguished road

not for "abs", just "service engine soon"

Old 10-22-2008, 07:19 PM
rydoo3 is an unknown quantity at this point

i wired a switch to the back the the fuse holder although my abs still works alright i just do like them on sometimes ( traveling down a dirt road a bit faster than you should be going ) but i don't think that'll help you much

Old 10-22-2008, 10:10 PM
spikell is an unknown quantity at this point

i have a town fair tire and they checked my abs light for me..replacing the front sensors arn't that bad to do swaped out both front ones in like an hour...

Old 10-23-2008, 07:58 AM

what if you left the fuse in (so that you could still have cruise control) but pulled the ABS relay??

Quick Reply: Is there a way to make abs brakes old school