2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

towing with a 95 blazer

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 03:10 AM
Lil Elan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default towing with a 95 blazer

hey guys,

Im very new to the blazers and recently purchased a 95 blazer LT 4dr and 2wd with 120k miles on it. My question is, would I be able to tow my 2100 pound race car on a open trailer with my blazer? All together the race car and trailer would weigh less than 4000lbs or 4000lbs at the max. Also what would you guys recomend doing/buying for my blazer to insure that it tows with success?

There is a trailer hitch on the blazer that states "Max trailer weight of 6000lbs and max tongue weight of 750lbs"

Last question and forgive for my lack of knowlegde regarding blazers (this is my first one and enjoy it so far) but what would be the towing capcity of a 1995 blazer LT.

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

Old 11-21-2006, 03:11 AM
Default RE: towing with a 95 blazer

oh yeah, it has the 4.3liter vortech engine, if that makes a difference

Old 11-21-2006, 03:36 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

Maybe someone on here knows for sure but my understanding is that whatever you tow should not be more than 3/4 the weight of the truck, so your load sounds a little heavy to me.

Old 11-21-2006, 05:07 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

This is what I found in the owners manual for my 2000 Blazer with the 4.3L Auto. I believe that it is the same for your '97. You can access this information for your specific year by registering on the MyGMlink site, it is free.

Weight of the Trailer
How heavy can a trailer safely be?
It depends on how you plan to use your rig.
For example, speed, altitude, road grades, outside
temperature and how much your vehicle is used to pull a
trailer are all important. And, it can also depend on any
special equipment that you have on your vehicle.
The following chart shows how much your trailer can
weigh, based upon your vehicle model and options.

Vehicle Axle Ratio Max. Trailer Wt.
2-Wheel Drive, 3.08 4,900 lbs. (2 224 kg)
Auto. Trans. 3.42 5,900 lbs. (2 678 kg)

2-Wheel Drive, 3.42 4,400 lbs. (1 997 kg)
Manual Trans.

4-Wheel Drive, 3.08 4,600 lbs. (2 088 kg)
Auto. Trans. 3.42 5,600 lbs. (2 542 kg)
3.73 5,600 lbs. (2 542 kg)

4-Wheel Drive, 3.42 4,000 lbs. (1 816 kg)
Manual Trans. 3.73 4,500 lbs. (2 043 kg)

Maximum trailer weight is calculated assuming the
driver and one passenger are in the tow vehicle and it
has all the required trailering equipment. The weight of
additional optional equipment, passengers and cargo in
the tow vehicle must be subtracted from the maximum
trailer weight. The weight of the trailer tongue also
affects the maximum trailer weight. See “Weight of the
Trailer Tongue†later in this section.

If you’ll be pulling a trailer that, when loaded, will
weigh more than 3,500 lbs. (1 589 kg), be sure to use
a properly mounted, weight-distributing hitch and
sway control of the proper size.

Trailer Brakes
If your trailer weighs more than 1,000 lbs. (450 kg)
loaded, then it needs its own brakes -- and they must be
adequate. Be sure to read and follow the instructions for
the trailer brakes so you’ll be able to install, adjust and
maintain them properly.

You can ask your dealer for our trailering information or
advice, or you can write us at the address listed in your
Warranty and Owner Assistance Information Booklet.

In Canada, write to:
General Motors of Canada Limited
Customer Communication Centre
1908 Colonel Sam Drive
Oshawa, Ontario L1H 8P7

Old 11-21-2006, 09:58 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I was going to say that anything over the 1/2 ton weight should have it's own brakes, which would then just be a matter of whether your truck has enough power to get you everywhere you want to go.

I would definitely recommend an auxiliary transmission oil cooler before you go towing something that heavy!

Old 12-11-2006, 06:49 PM

So you are saying that with a aux. tranny cooler and trailer brakes, i should be able to towmyrace car and trailer ( total weight ofno more than 4000lbs, probably closer to 3800lbs) with my 1995 blazer LT2wd4.3L vortech with 122K miles on it?

Can anyone tell me what the towing capacity of a 1995 blazer LT is, ive read that it is 5000lbs. Is this true? Also what gear should I be in when towing. I know Drive around the city, but what about the freeway with the tranny cooler on that blazer

Old 12-11-2006, 11:43 PM
AutomagicLS1 is an unknown quantity at this point

3 When towing. Tranny coolers work wonders. I have a Yank 4000 Converter in my stock 4L60E in my LS1 driving in the city in and out of lockup without a cooler first i was sitting right about 200 degrees. On a 150 hit making hot passes the trans temps were at a consistent 180 degrees in brutal environment. GET A TRANNY COOLER!!!!!

Old 12-12-2006, 12:30 AM
gizwilly is an unknown quantity at this point

I asked our local Chev. dealer the same question, for my '95 4wd.

The response was that capacity is about 4500 lbs of trailer weight. Recommended adding a tranny cooler for my Auto tranny. Brakes too.

Then you should be "Good to go!"

Old 12-12-2006, 06:28 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: Lil Elan

So you are saying that with a aux. tranny cooler and trailer brakes, i should be able to towmyrace car and trailer ( total weight ofno more than 4000lbs, probably closer to 3800lbs) with my 1995 blazer LT2wd4.3L vortech with 122K miles on it?

Can anyone tell me what the towing capacity of a 1995 blazer LT is, ive read that it is 5000lbs. Is this true? Also what gear should I be in when towing. I know Drive around the city, but what about the freeway with the tranny cooler on that blazer.
Go to myGMlink.com and set up an account and it should let you access any information about your vehicle you need.

You should not exceed total of 4,900lbs. This includes car, tools and any extra weight to include what you load into the back of the Blazer.

As long as there are not a lot of hills you have to get to for the tracks you have to go to you should be fine. A friend of mine and I just recently towed a Mitsu 3000 GT from lower ORE to SW WA with no troubles, most of the time was freeway and some was two lane. His truck has a larger servo installed so it made the job a little easier.

I would also recomend highly a trans cooler either as the only or as an addon to the factory cooler (last in line) so that trans temps are controlled. I would look into the 2-4 servo upgrade, most people use a GM Corvette (cheaper) but others are just as good, it increases apply pressure so the trans does not slip as much.

Old 12-12-2006, 10:36 PM
nofear17bmx is an unknown quantity at this point

I know this guy who towed his boat which was a little over 6,000 pounds and had its own brakes and all and the blazer actually didnt have any problem towing it. Had air shocks in the back in all. The blazer was strictly for towing his boat so he didnt care what he did to it. Couple days ago he just sold it on ebay and still runs like a champ. I cant imagine it was good for the truck, but towing anything over the vehicles weight I would get an aux trans cooler. Thought you would just like to know what other people have towed with a blazer. Ohh yea, and it was a 95...

Quick Reply: towing with a 95 blazer