2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Transfer Case output shaft

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 05:34 PM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road
Question Transfer Case output shaft

Hi everyone Just wondering on my 96 Jimmy how difficult is it to remove the front output shaft?Is it a major job or something fairly easy to do?Also can some explain what the steps are to remove it?Thanks.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:55 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enough

Its pretty easy, there are quite a few articles about it online. I just did mine on my 96 Blazer to get rid of the CV stub that they come with. its an easy job without removing the transfer case, but you wont be able to completely remove the rear case half(not and issue)

http://www.jbconversions.com/pdf/16-1206.pdf

I can help with details if you have questions.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:54 PM
Default Thanks

Looks like alot of work,I was under the impression that shaft just slid off a yoke.I just thought by removing it then my job of installing the tcase would be easier.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:07 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

You mentioned "front output shaft"... Do you mean the transfer case output shaft or the front driveshaft?

Old 11-07-2012, 10:33 PM

Front driveshaft is easy. Undo the 4 bolts on the straps that hold the joints to the front differential yoke. Pry the ujoint out of the yoke. You need to give the cv body at the other end of the shaft at the transfer case a few taps toward the front of the vehicle(away from the transfer case) There is no fastener to undo. Slide the now free shaft assembly up and forward enough to lower the cv end past the crossmember and pull it out rearward.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:36 PM

The transfer case is tricky to get out because of the welded in torsion bar crossmember under the tailhousing of the transfer case.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:24 AM
Default Hey Guys

Im talking about the shaft that connects to the transfer case thyen bolts to the front differential.The case is out laying on the floor.Where the shaft connects to the Tcase there steel collar that goes around it.I was looking at some other sites online and they showed being able to get it off by using a block of wood and hammer.Then it slides right off the yoke.I tryed that and didnt get anywhere.Anyhow the only reason for removing it was I thought It would make my installation easier cause the shaft keeps getting in the way.I had changed the ujoint at the front end of the shaft and cause of it being moved around so much even though the end was wrapped in duct tape I lost the ends of the caps loosing all the roller bearings.So I`ll be replacing that too.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:07 AM

try using a 2-4 lb hammer striking it away from the case while also gently prying on it(dont want to damage the seal or aluminum housing). try rotating the shaft after every few hits as well. normally they come off fairly easily after getting them to initially move. there is a small spring retainer clip you need to overcome with force at the tip of the transfer case shaft.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:31 AM
Default Ok thankx

I`ll give that a try this afternoon.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:54 PM
Thumbs up

I couldnt find this post earlier but I did manage to get the output shaft off by using a hammer using a bit of force not not to much.Easier than what I thought.Not only that I was able to get my tcase up into position so I can bolt it to the trans.Of course It had to fall a few times before I got it but I had alot of tenasity today.

Last edited by 1sttimejimmyowner; 11-11-2012 at 09:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Transfer Case output shaft