2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

unusual problem...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 08:17 PM
racsan is on a distinguished road
Default unusual problem...

wife told me of something unusual that happend the other day, said she was driving along @ 55 mph when the blazer started slowing down, the speedomter needle went back and forth erradically between 40-50 & she said the abs light was flashing. vehicle was fully warmed up when it happened. hasnt done anything weird since, no abs or check engine light, nothing shows up with the scanner hooked up. in my research for this strange issue, the only thing i found was a possible tcc solenoid. i dont get the abs light thing, if it was the check engine light flashing, id think whatever tripped it would have shown up during my scan. this is a '97 with 190,000 on the clock, i 'spose anything is possible. she doesnt really trust it now, she says its also tried to "keep going" when stopping, sounds like a converter that wont unlock to me. its never done anything wierd like that to me before. if it is this tcc solenoid, how bad a job is it? or are there bigger issues? recently got my tax refund check back, not sure if this is worth fixing or if its time to trade for something newer with less miles. i found a '02 escape online but it wasnt at the dealership. kind of hate to get rid of it, but if its days are numbered id rather get some trade out of it rather than tow it to a 'yard. UPDATE: was with my wife this evening as she was driving, it did it with me in the truck, felt a jolt, kind of like a rough shift, looked over at the dash, the speedometer needle was going down to 40 & back up to 50, abs light was on. then it all went away and was fine. i drove it home & nothing happened. just for kicks i turned off the ignition while driving, the speedometer needle went to 80 & stuck momentarily. the abs light did go on along with a red light to the right of the dash (i forget what it is, i just recall it being red) turned the key back to "run" and everything went back to normal. could i somehow be having a ignition switch on the blink? engine was cold this time, was driving about 45-50 when it occured.

Last edited by racsan; 02-20-2012 at 06:22 PM. Reason: UPDATE
Old 02-24-2012, 08:41 PM
racsan is on a distinguished road

well it hasnt done it in a while, that other light i couldnt recall what was is the airbag light. im kinda leaning towards a bad ignition switch, sometimes it takes more craning time to start, one time tonight when i turned it to start it took a moment before it would crank. may be one of those things i have to wait for it to totally die before i can figure it out. going to try better wires, cap & rotor and see if theres any improvement. idle seems a little rough, shows about 600 in park with the scanguage.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:30 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Could very well be an ignition switch, very common on 1997. If you end up replacing it, don't waste your time and money on aftermarket stuff, use AC Delco. In the AC Delco parts catalog, 1997 is the only year that used part# D1498C ... tells me they had a problem with it. https://blazerforum.com/forum/articl...-switch-33465/

Last edited by Captain Hook; 02-24-2012 at 09:39 PM.