Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Blazer Overhead Display Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 07:06 PM
cr8390 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Blazer Overhead Display Upgrade

Hey i know there has been alot of talk about the overhead displays in the s10's and blazers about how to add them or upgrade them from the Temp/Compass to the mpg,range, and all those other things. Well i looked up on ebay how much the display would cost it ranged from 45-100 dollars.

I went to a junkyard today to see if i could find one. I did. After looking around a while in blazers i had no luck so i looked in Astro vans and boom. I looked up and saw it, i cut it down and cut the harness with it. The trip computer has a 9 pin harness and the compass/temp has a 6 pin connector. The harness i pulled had 1 extra wire 2 pins arent used or dont need to be. I installed and matched the first pins with my orignal 6 pin connector and spliced them togethor and electric taped them. The last wire pin 9 goes to you Data link connector that mechanics use to scan your computer. Find this connector find the purple wire and splice the wire from your last pin on the harness to the purple wire on the Data Link connector. Done! To reset it go to MPG and hold the 2 buttons for 2 seconds and all the numbers should flash and reset. This is easy if your just for upgrading from a comp/temp to a full computer with range mps and all that.
Pop off the front cover and push the back in and the unit should slide out then you can pop the other one in.
By the way i ended up paying $5.00 for the harness and the full trip computer unit. Instead of paying alot online. My junk yard was a self serve one so getting a person to go out and pull it for you might be hard cause they get no gain from it.

Any 1 has any questions leave one here.

By the way my blazer is a 1999 LS. I dont know the year of the astro i pulled it from.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:30 PM
davtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant future
Default RE: Blazer Overhead Display Upgrade

That is a real good idea. Thanks for the tip. I was wondering if it could be done after someone tellin gme it was an LT thing and my LT didn't have it. I will have to do this, and it gives me a reason to go to the pull it yourself junkyard, woohoo! The only question I have, and since I haven't done it yet is why I don't know how, is to get the overhead console down off the ceiling.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:08 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

how can i do this if i dont have the temp/compass to begin with. Is the wiring harness already above the headliner or would i have to run all the wires.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:37 PM

To nvanzee you would probably have to rewire all the stuff i heard it can be hard to do ill try to find a link for it. and davtak there is a screw in the front of the overhead console the very front, its a little hole lookup theres a screw. Then take the plastic light cover off and there are 2 more screws in there then it drops off.

Old 05-24-2008, 06:25 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

ok thanks cr8390 this is something i would really like to do

Old 05-24-2008, 07:54 PM
99blaz is on a distinguished road

Sweet!I didnt even think about doing that but I might just now. Thanks.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:00 PM
myol blue4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to say thats a really good idea. But I was wondering, did you switch over head consoles completely or did you just pop out the display from the astro and hook + pop it back into the blazer console?

Old 05-24-2008, 09:19 PM
99blaz is on a distinguished road

I'm pretty sure you can just swap the displays instead of the whole console.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:23 PM
myol blue4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, yeah I looked on ebay real quick and saw that they are close to or if not the exact same thing so I think I might take a trip to the local junkyard and take on another project haha.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:06 AM

I went to the junkyard pulled the overhead console out of the astro and popped the computer out of it and cut the harness down. Because the harness's are differnet on my truck with the comp/temp it was a 6 pin and with the full computer its a 9 pin. So u wanna get that harness. The first 6 pins on the 9 pin harness are the same as the 6 pin harness in your truck (the wire colors were different but that dosent matter). By the time u get done putting them togethor you should have 1 wire left hanging it should be the last pin, pin 9 u just take a wire from that to the purple wire on your data link connector. I didnt wanna replace the whole overhead console because it wasnt needed and expensive.

Quick Reply: Blazer Overhead Display Upgrade