Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Hey guys, i need a lil audio clarification can y'all help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 03:09 PM
Starting Member
travisrussell88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hey guys, i need a lil audio clarification can y'all help?

ok, so i have a 1998 blazer, i want to keep the stock head unit/stereo, i added a 10-CD changer, and upgraded to Kenwood 3-way speakers all the way around, now i wanna add a powered sub/amp combo, the problem is my dad says i have to bypass the preamp in the factory stereo, is that true, i havent been able to find any info on it at all, the stereo is the factory standardstereo, just like you'd find in a malibu or other chevy w/o a cd player, i didnt even know there was a preamp built in, so i really need to know if there is and whether i need to bypass it or not, the amp/sub combo has preamp and speaker level inputs, thank y'all forthe help!

Old 08-27-2008, 09:07 PM
01vortec is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Hey guys, i need a lil audio clarification can y'all help?

get a high quality Line-Out Converter. Like a JL cleansweep or a Rockford 3sixty.1 or 3sixty.2

Old 08-27-2008, 10:37 PM
Starting Member

so there's no preamp i have to bypass, i just have to get a line out converter, teh sub/amp combo has speaker level inputs, cant i use that setup instead?

Old 08-27-2008, 10:48 PM
01vortec is an unknown quantity at this point

You can, its up to you. Most of the higher end amp's don't have high level inputs.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:18 PM
Starting Member

ok cool, thank you 01vortec

Old 08-29-2008, 02:52 PM
Starting Member
jimbosv650 is an unknown quantity at this point

I really recommend you get an aftermarket head unit if you're upgrading your speakers and getting subs. Theres only so much a factory unit can put out.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:09 PM
Starting Member

well the problem with that is there's only 2 or 3 headunits that fit w/o modification, and all have a cd player built in which i dont need nor want, and they all cost over $200, i dont wanna modify the opening to make a smaller unit fit, and i want the clean stock look, i wanna hear my music with teh windows down on the highway clearly and with good quality, not flaunt it about at shows and such

Old 09-08-2008, 03:49 AM
Beginning Member
diceman1000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default :)

any after market gm size,or standard din size radio will fit...you ave to have a dash kit...no mods,it will bolt directly to where th factory radio bolts,all it does is shrink the dash opening to fit a standard din size unit...i strongly reccomend going to crutchfield.com and doing some research...you would be a thousand times happier with an after market...as far as not wanting a cd player,chek out the alpine multi media units,no cd player and has the best i-pod control on the market...

Damon

Old 09-12-2008, 08:28 PM
ChevyRules is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: :)

yeah i would definitely get an after market head unit. the wattage rating a stock head unit puts out is crap. you can have amazing door speakers but with a stock head unit it will still sound like crap. the more powerful the head unit, the louder you can turn up and still have clear sound. if you turn that stock head unit up, it will get distorted easily-not because the speakers cant handle it, the stock head unit doesnt have the power. if you want to hear your music clearly with the windows down on the highway, new head unit is the answer.

also it will be way easier in my opinion to install an amp to power your woofers with an after market head unit. just gotta run some RCAs out the back instead of getting the line out converter. and like it has been said before, you can get smooth looking install kits for like 20 bucks.

good luck man.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:48 PM
tjwiens91@hotmail.co is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: :)

with the dash kit it makes everything look very nice and clean.

Quick Reply: Hey guys, i need a lil audio clarification can y'all help?