Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

My sub box/storage solution

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 12:11 PM
Jigg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My sub box/storage solution

Lenny had asked me to post up some pictures of my sub box, so here they are:

Sub box, without cargo box or shelf:

Shelf and box installed:

I have loads of other pictures if anybody wants a different view.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:24 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road
Default RE: My sub box/storage solution

Wow didn't know you had subs, I had thought about integrating the sub box into some sort of storage bin like that. I like that idea cause then others looking in can't see that you have subs. As far as the rest of it, did you just build a seperate box that opens only like the picture, or do the side open up to (by the wheel wells)? How does the board rest near the wheel wells (like resting on the wheel wells or did you have to build in some supports)? The pics you posted are great, but if you already have some online (like on photobucket) you could just send me a link to the photo album instead of having to post more pics. The box looks awesome.

EDIT: what size are those subs, they look to be about 10" (which is what I have)? Do you happen to know about what the cubic volume is per sub in the box?

Old 02-22-2008, 12:31 PM

The box is exactly 1.5 ft^3. The subs are infinity 10" and require .75/sub. The cargo box is basically just a box with an open top, same height/length as teh sub box. Then, the top part just sits on top of the entire thing. Here're a few other pics to see what i mean:

Top piece before carpet:

Adhesive:

Underside after carpeting:

Tailgate down (still need to clean this up):

Old 02-22-2008, 01:54 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Looks great there Justin!

Old 02-22-2008, 05:46 PM
Beginning Member
JMorton is an unknown quantity at this point

Very nice! I think you just showed me how I need to do mine! do you think it would support a 33 inch tire and wheel (spare)?
How difficult is it to get to your jack, should you have a flat?

Old 02-22-2008, 06:18 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

Well getting to the jack should be no problem yet since he has access to the jack thru the jack access panel thingy on the left (the top peice comes right off after a couple snaps). Not to mention, he is probably going to use the hi lift mounted in the back as his jack for a flat, which undoing the two mounts for that would be a sinch. As for the 33" tire, if you dont want any other storage space or to see out the back then you should be good. I was thinking about that design and adding some support posts in the corners to make it so you could put heavier items toward the sides.

Thanks Justin for putting this up. You put a lot of work into this and it looks great. It also does what I would like it to do, so you might see me with something similar this summer.

EDIT: About how much did this run you cost wise. I think I am going to start designing mine and then go from there, amybe make some cad drawings or hand sketches depending on my mood.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:15 PM
cloak01ls is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks real good Jigg. I'll bet you get some annoying rattles with all those spray cans in there, lol...

edit: Are those like 4" spacers sittin on the counter in the first pic???

Old 02-22-2008, 07:18 PM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

Looks great very nice idea!!!

Old 02-24-2008, 11:49 PM

The stock jack is easy to get to... unfortunately, it won't lift my truck anymore, lol. A 33" tire won't fit back there, not on a 2dr anyways... mine's on my spare tire carrier.

Ummm, costwise... $20 or so. I had the sheet of 3/4" MDF lying around... along with the subfloor adhesive, so all i had to buy was a box of screws, some carpet, and the 3M spray.

As far as rattles... believe it or not, i can't hear any from the box. The carpet seals it off pretty well, and everything is packed in there pretty tight. However, i've been thinking of putting some black egg-crate foam on the underside of the lid, just to pad everything. We'll see.

The spacers were 3" spacers. I was going to put them on the rear of my blazer, but they stuck out a little too much... didn't want to get pulled over for having the tires too far out.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:57 AM
94blueknight is on a distinguished road

sweet set up! looks good i was just wondering do the subs still sound pretty good? my friend that is really good w/ car systems says u want the subs pointed out the back for the best sound. so i was just curious how they sound pointed down?

Quick Reply: My sub box/storage solution