Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Setting your Amplifiers Gain with DMM

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 10:32 PM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future
Default RE: Setting your Amplifiers Gain with DMM

why do you need Microsoft Excel??

Old 01-31-2009, 10:45 PM
sparky3489 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Setting your Amplifiers Gain with DMM

You don't need Excel but it sure is darned handy. The guide I made is an Excel spreadsheet that has a fully interactive power wire size calculator, alternator size calculator and "big 3" wire size suggestion section (for high powered systems) and a guide to set the gain on an amplifier correctly (0dB 60Hz test tone included).

I also have a link for those that don't have Excel, but it's just screen shots of an older version of the spreadsheet and is NOT interactive, however the test tone is still included.

If you don't have Excel, I highly recommend going to OpenOffice.org for a free Excel-like application program (and other MS Office programs like Word)made by Sun Microsystems (Java).

Old 08-25-2009, 11:30 AM
brian400ex is on a distinguished road

where can i get a test tone cd? can i download it from limewire?

Old 04-04-2010, 02:25 PM
Speedcult is on a distinguished road

Just thought I'd drop my 2 cents on here. Since we have setting up with a DMM covered, easiest method since most don't have an o-scope handy. One thing that was left out is that the DMM does NOT provide the resistance needed to the amp. So X-rms @ 2-ohms is out the window since you don't have the 2 ohm load. Neither does an o-scope.

My advice is a cheap set of ear protection and an open area away from your home. That way you can leave the actual speakers that will be on the system hooked up and give the resistance needed. It also helps so the wrong people don't learn what car in the neighborhood has a new system Also, if you like to run your system at full-tilt most days... I suggest that you go over your system with a DMM every couple months. Set it to measure Ohms and check your speakers. This can let you know if you're cooking your coils.

For some awsome bass tracks and info, I recommend:
www.realmofexcursion.com
You have to sign up to access the downloads section (free), although I learned a lot from this site over the years. Anyway, go to the Downloads section and you can download Pink, White, Brown Noise in different dB levels, different freq. sine waves and even a few popular bass tracks like Bass I Love You.

Some of the members there are very well known in the Car Audio world.
Also:
www.the12volt.com
Those are 2 sites I highly recommend. Doesn't matter if you're an Audiophile hell bent on making your truck sound like a concert hall... or an earth-shaking Basshead. The more info you have, the better you can get your system set up and save you from making costly mistakes.

Awsome info btw Hillbilly... hope you don't mind me posting up more info. Oh and one last site I STRONGLY recommend if you're like me and love doing all your own stereo and alarms (or friends cars)...
http://techservices.audiovox.com
Sign up is free and gives you access to wire diagrams for almost any car/truck... well as far as stereos and alarms go lol. Whew, ok I think I'm done. WAY too much coffee and time on my hands this morning!

Last edited by Speedcult; 04-04-2010 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:28 AM
Beginning Member
goldenboy88 is on a distinguished road

SMD Distortion Detector DD-1 - SMD Distortion Detector

Steve Meade's distortion detector is an incredibly easy way to set your gain to get the most out of your system with no distortion.
YouTube - ‪Proper SMD DD1 Testing for Head Unit and Amplifier-Installing New Amp with NO Distortion!‬‏