Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

1998 blazer wont fire

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 08:32 AM
Polkprincess19 is on a distinguished road
Default 1998 blazer wont fire

Hey guys,

Ive got an 1998 Chevy Blazer that "lost power" yesterday. I was going 60MPH and it slowly started to decrease itself in speed. I pulled over and shut it off. When I tried to crank it back up it wouldnt fire.

Its an older car and i just got it (for free) so i wasnt sure if it had even been taken care of properly. The fuel pump comes on when key-on. I thought i had a clogged fuel filter so I changed it on the side of the road. Put the new fuel filter in (no leaks) and checked the gas pressure valve in the engine. Pressure is adequately enough, as gas spews out when valve is pushed.

After doing that I checked my spark plug wire with a flat head to make sure that was firing and it WAS. I finally had to have it towed home last night because it still wont fire.

Any suggestions?

Old 12-21-2014, 08:45 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Check fuel pressure and leakdown with a fuel pressure tester. Correct fuel pressure is critical on this engine. Most auto parts stores rent/loan them for free, and sell them for around $40. Key ON, engine OFF, fuel pump running, pressure must be 60psi to 66psi. It must remain above 55psi for at least 10 minutes after the pump shuts off.

On your 1998, you can also energize the fuel pump in the underhood fuse panel:

Name:  DSC_0154-Copy-1.jpg
Views: 915
Size:  12.8 KB

Apply battery voltage to the pump prime terminal and the pump will run continuously. Post your results and we'll go from there.

Old 12-22-2014, 05:43 AM

I checked the pressure with a tester yesterday and at key-on its only getting about 30psi. I have dropped the fuel tank, cleaned the tank and removed the old fuel pump already last night. The line that runs into the FRONT of the tank, NOT the fuel pump was old and broke off at the tank when I tried to remove the line . Im not sure how to replace that .

Old 12-22-2014, 01:23 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

On your 98, if the fuel pressure drops below ~43psi, the injectors will open, but the poppet valves will not open and squirt the fuel out.

Repair kits are available for the quick connect fittings, most auto parts stores have, or can get them. This kit comes with the pressure and return line fittings. Fuel injection rated rubber fuel line can be connected to the hose barbs. Needa Parts Fuel Line Repair Kit - 5/16" and 3/8" Straight 800-063: Shop the best at Advance Auto Parts

Old 12-22-2014, 04:12 PM

I have no idea what you just said . I need to replace the emissions line on the FRONT of my fuel tank (NOT near the fuel pump) it snapped off flush with the tank when i was dropping the tank down . Idk what the emission line runs to or how to fix it .

Old 12-25-2014, 03:54 PM
Starting Member
Gregg64 is on a distinguished road

Runs to the EVAP canister that is located infront and above the tank. If it's broken clean at the tank not sure there is any way to fix that.