Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 05:04 PM
penswhite06 is on a distinguished road
Default What would you do?

My daughter's 1996 Blazer's transmission took a turn for the worse last night. It will not go into 3rd gear all the time. Hubby talked to a friend of a friend at a transmission shop and described what it was doing and he says it's the 3-4 clutch and $1,250 to rebuild the whole thing, $750 if he pulls it and brings it to him. My question for all you pros out there is, this blazer has 211,000 miles on it. The engine has no problems at all. Would it be worth the money to get this fixed or not? Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:15 PM
Leeann_Bravada is an unknown quantity at this point

For $750? Absolutely. Especially with the engine working well.

Just think: if you decide not to fix it, what will you get for a vehicle with that mileage without a properly working transmission? Not a whole lot. That means you don't have much money for a trade-in on something else.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:08 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

i say fix it =P

Old 06-10-2011, 07:30 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leeann_Bravada
For $750? Absolutely. Especially with the engine working well.

Just think: if you decide not to fix it, what will you get for a vehicle with that mileage without a properly working transmission? Not a whole lot. That means you don't have much money for a trade-in on something else.
^^This^^

Even for $1250, it seems worth it to me.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:21 PM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

I would say if the motor is still strong it would be worth the fix.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:31 AM
penswhite06 is on a distinguished road

Found a local small shop guy who will do it for $1,000 removing it and everything. Said it would probably take a week or longer but I'm good with that. We figure these 4.3 liter engines are pretty tough so if she even gets one more year out of it that will be fine. She only drives it about 18,000 a year anyway. Thanks to everyone for the encouragement. On a side note, every shop my husband talked to said they basically make a living on these blazer transmissions, LOL.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:36 AM
Leeann_Bravada is an unknown quantity at this point

Good. $1000 including R&R is a pretty good price.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:03 PM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, the 4.3 is a pretty strong motor as long as you do with any motor and keep up on maintenance.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:45 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by penswhite06
Found a local small shop guy who will do it for $1,000 removing it and everything. Said it would probably take a week or longer but I'm good with that. We figure these 4.3 liter engines are pretty tough so if she even gets one more year out of it that will be fine. She only drives it about 18,000 a year anyway. Thanks to everyone for the encouragement. On a side note, every shop my husband talked to said they basically make a living on these blazer transmissions, LOL.
Not just blazers, maybe that's why they say that. Many GMC 1/2 tons have 4L60E trans in them. Probably many other SUV's GM made. Built up/after market modifications etc or just maintained right & not abused, they're a good trans.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:32 AM
TheRandom1 has a spectacular aura aboutTheRandom1 has a spectacular aura about

Whichever route you go, I'd just make sure that price includes a new torque converter. If the old one is going bad, it can ruin a newly rebuilt transmission very quickly.

Quick Reply: What would you do?