Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

98 blazer acceleration problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 07:33 PM
Bejaran is on a distinguished road
Default 98 blazer acceleration problems

My blazer hasn't been accelerating properly not sure why if I step on the gas more than half way it will rev engine or just die
I have to barely step on the gas to get it to move I got up to about 50 on the highway today on the way home from work and I couldn't accelerate faster
When I come to a stop I have to very lightly step on gas or my blazer will die
It also has been having trouble starting not all the time but often enough to be a issue I have to splash a hint of gas into throttle body and it'll turn right on
This has been a ongoing issue for about 2 weeks I replaced my TP Sensor this morning it drove normal and I was able to accelerate normal as well but when I left work it didn't want to accelerate someone please help

Old 05-24-2016, 07:58 PM
Racer_X is on a distinguished road

Start with the often ignored maintenance items.

When was the fuel filter replaced last? That filter should be replaced every 30,000 miles.

Air filter? Also supposed to be replaced every 30,000 miles at most. The air filter should really be inspected at least every other oil change service, every oil change if you're in a dusty area.

Beyond that, when Wed spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor replaced?

Is the "service engine soon" light on?

Also, is the exhaust restricted? Does it sound different?

Last edited by Racer_X; 05-24-2016 at 08:01 PM. Reason: added exhaust questions.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:43 PM

Air filter along with fuel filter were replaced recently it hasn't been 30k miles spark plugs distributor cap and rotor as well it does have the same wires It came with when I bought it but I did inspect and find nothing wrong with them
The SES light is on I'm waiting for my dad to get here so we can scan it
The exhaust doesn't sound restricted to me I have checked to see if my cat would glow red due to clogging but haven't noticed that being out of ordinary

Old 05-24-2016, 09:20 PM

You can do a quick and easy check for exhaust restriction with a vacuum gauge.

Connect a diagnostic vacuum gauge to a vacuum port on the intake. I usually use the port the brake booster is attached to, just put the brake booster hose back on after the test.

Start the engine and note the vacuum reading at idle. It should be around 15 to 20 inches hg. Then open the throttle a bit and get it up to about 3000 rpms (in Park, A/C off, no load). Note the vacuum. As you rev the engine, it should drop some, but as the rpms stabilize at 3000, the vacuum should rise to 20 to 25 inches. If the vacuum reading at 3000 rpms with no load is lower than at idle, you have an exhaust restriction. Normally the vacuum will be higher at 3000 rpms with no load than at idle.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:17 PM

Okay when my dad gets here I'll check that as well any clue about the starting issue I'm having?

Old 05-28-2016, 10:59 PM

Well I scanned it and I got PO174 running to lean and PO300 multiple random misfires which is odd I think the PO174 code is due to misfire

Old 05-30-2016, 08:12 PM

I ran the vacuum test you said it's not exhaust restriction what ever it is it's getting worse today it only let me do 30ish mph and died at stop lights help any suggestions fuel pressure is normal

Old 05-30-2016, 08:55 PM

What was the vacuum reading at idle? And at 30000 RPM?

Also, when you hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the test port, and turn the key on (don't start the engine, just turn the key to the "run" position), what's your fuel pressure reading. Turn off the key and wait 10 minutes, what's the fuel pressure reading after 10 minutes at the test port?

If the exhaust isn't restricted, it sounds like it's not getting enough fuel. That would cause lean running plus misfires.

Old 05-30-2016, 10:35 PM

Vacuum at 20 idle 25 at 3000
Don't remember fuel pressure but we even hooked it up and drove with it connected and it was normal
I removed o2 sensors to see if that would make a difference (if cat was clogged all the exhaust would exit through o2) but it made no difference still no acceleration power

Last edited by Bejaran; 05-30-2016 at 10:38 PM.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:37 PM

I changed out ignition module and coil with a used one I had now it seems to start right up ( I would have to occasionally pour a little gas in throttle body) still no acceleration

Quick Reply: 98 blazer acceleration problems