Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

98 Blazer info request

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 04:25 PM
Beginning Member
ThaGMan is on a distinguished road
Default 98 Blazer info request

I am looking for help regarding a reputable Crank Balancing Vender in DFW. Please read below. Pic inserted. Also suggestions on purchase of very good Flywheel. And if some members think I have left any stone unturned please by all means point it out.
I picked up this 1998 Gem of a blazer for $500 in July. It had blown engine. I had every intention of putting my 1994 S10 4.3 in this vehicle. That was when I found out how much has been changed and I decided against going that route.
To my surprise the previous owner spent $5000 on his vehicle in late 2014. She left all documentation in the glove compartment. It appears as though she had major problems caused by poor engine rebuild. I do not think she even knew that Engine was rebuilt. Whoever was working on her vehicle in Ft Worth, (I have information and will never go there) was attempting to repair the vehicle by installing virtually everything attached to the engine and not doing a good job of that. To my surprise the new manifold that was installed had the ground wires and back Engine bolted underneath the manifold. There were many more problems with the work performed by mechanic in Ft Worth that I’m not even going to go into that now.
I had already quoted a long block prior to removing this engine. When I took the valve covers off I was shocked to see how clean it was. Then I removed a heads and I could still see honing marks on the cylinder walls. She blew #2 Rod. It did not do damage to the block. I will check out the new valves that are installed and change my rocker studs so I can adjust the rockers myself. I have a feeling the heads and block was shaved but the nonadjustable lifter setup was in place. Not going to take that Gamble.
I have a feeling that the Rebuilder put on an aftermarket Fly Wheel. It was made in Canada and still has the bar code on the Flywheel. This engine had to be rocking and rolling. Both Engine mounts were broke.
So with the exception of the Flywheel I am about to order my rebuild crank and pistons. Towanda light crank and pistons. Block # 14099099-T Crank # 10105865-T

Old 09-15-2016, 06:52 PM
Red9Beard4 is on a distinguished road

As long as you stay stock engine with the stock tranny you should be able to go to your local parts store and pick up a flywheel. If you use a 96-98 block and keep the tranny any flywheel in their catalog for that vehicle will work with your starter. Once you start changing things up you may have to compensate for flywheel offset. (By flywheel I assume you mean it's a standard, but if it's an automatic flexplate stock will also work perfectly fine. I've put 600HP to a stock GM Flexplate.)

Honestly you have 2 choices. If you have a local machine shop they should be able to check and clean the block and heads (maybe). If not you'll have to send them off. If all checks out, you should be able to get a regrind crank that is already balanced along with a master engine rebuild kit.

If the heads are toast and the block is good, I would try to find some heads at a good price and proceed with the rebuild. If the block is trashed, it's either a junkyard find or pay out decent money for a new one. Me personally, I would try to find one from a 96+ truck or blazer in the jy.

So, summed up. Stock flywheel from nearest local parts house (or online), a regrind crank SHOULD be balanced already. Have the block and heads checked and cleaned if there is a machine shop near you that does it.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:22 PM
Beginning Member
ThaGMan is on a distinguished road

Appreciate the input vary much. Red Beard. Yeah I know. I never got used to Flex Plate and now I guess they call that a Drive Plate. I guess they may have a new word for Bell Housing as well. I haven't had to put a clutch pressure plate not grind the Fly Wheel for years. Now I use a shift kit that snaps your seat out when I stomp on it. I will watch my terminology closer in future. I do in fact need a Flex Plate/Drive Plate.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:11 AM
Red9Beard4 is on a distinguished road

It's no problem, we all get it mixed up here and there man. I know what you mean by the shift kit. Had one in my 90 383 I put 600 on a turbo 350. Just in town cruising would ******. I will be adding one to my 97 blazer when I build a tranny for it. They're nice to have. The terminology is changing everyday for parts we've known by names for years. Quite ridiculous really.