Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Time to get over my head!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 08:09 PM
BlazerGuy2001 is on a distinguished road
Default Time to get over my head!

Alright everyone, its time to start the research for next summers project. I am planning on doing the usual engine swap and putting the 5.3L Vortec V8 in my blazer. I have a 2001 ZR2 and am 16, so ill be saving up until the summer comes for this project. So heres my questions...and please keep in mind i am searching these forums every day looking for answers i just like confirming everything before i do it.

1. There are like twenty different types of this engine which one do i want? why?
2. As far as i can tell it will fit into the engine compartment but what type of engine mounts will i need? and how are they attached?
3. I am just getting into the whole engine department and need to know what all the components are that bolts on? where can i read up on this?

I will add more questions as i think of them please help me out =) thanks

Old 01-01-2010, 09:22 PM
cbr995 will become famous soon enoughcbr995 will become famous soon enough

From what I have read, You will need new engine mounts, modify the radiator support, and a new computer. Some other things, too.
I want to put an LS1 in my truck, so I've been doing some research, although I haven't in a while since I lost my job.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:42 PM

Yea, im still in high school so it makes money like impossibly tight but i think i should be able to find a way to get one. What kind of GM V8's would fit into this blazer without any mods besides mounts and radiator?

Old 01-01-2010, 10:17 PM
cbr995 will become famous soon enoughcbr995 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by BlazerGuy2001
Yea, im still in high school so it makes money like impossibly tight.
Don't worry, I know how you feel. Luckily I only have until May.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:36 PM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

I would suggest going with a 5.3 out of a Silverado that is similar in year to your Blazer. Also ****** the computer out of it. As far as engine mounts, try picking those up out of the Silverado as well, but you probably have to do some custom fab work to get them to fit to the frame of the Blazer.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:48 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

I have been wanting to do this too. I hope to be able to do it over next winter. I have done a lot of research on it. I would buy the kit from JTR fro $800 it includes a manual for the swap, motor mounts, and the headers you will need. For the motor you will want a vortec out of the same year range as your blazer along with the computer. You will also have to get electric fans since there wont be room for the belt driven one. Im sure there are a few things im forgetting. Do a search i know this has been talked about a few times. Its not exactly a cheap project or a weekend job but will be worth it. I would plan on it taking a few weeks depending on how much time you have and how much experience you have.

Where are you in MI? Im in grand rapids.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:08 PM

im from rochester hills so not too far away. and im gonna be doing it over the summer so that i have plenty of weeks to work on it. As for experience i have barely any with engines but my dad has loads. Thats why im beginning to research now so i can prepare everything i need. i have a friend that has done a very similar swap so now the hard part will be finding all the correct parts. Keep the comments flowing please!!

Also, if i put the silverado engine, computer....etc.. into it how much custom work would need to be done?

EDIT: Alright so ive been talking to a friend of mine that knows loads about engines and rebuilds and swaps and have decided to keep the stock 4.3L but rip it down to just the block and build it back up from there. I figure i will still be able to get plenty of performance if i rebuild it right, and approaching 200k miles, its gonna need it soon anyway. So tell me your thoughts on this descission

Last edited by BlazerGuy2001; 01-02-2010 at 01:23 AM.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:04 AM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

The 4.3 can be a powerhouse if you rebuild to be so. Probably be cheaper in the long run as well. Good choice.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:51 AM

i figure that way i wont have to change the frame rails at all and wont have any major issues with fitting everything. I was talking to my friend about his jeep engine and he said he is going to a stroker shaft which will bring his 4.0L to a 4.6L is there such thing for the Vortec 4.3L? Also, is there anyone out there willing to work with me to put all the parts i need in a plan so that i know how much im going to be spending?

Old 01-05-2010, 06:33 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

those 4.3 blocks can take a beating but dont go to crazy. guys i've talked to says the engines themselfs are just about bulletproof. just be careful how much extra horsepower your adding. remember your engine might have alot of horse power but you frame is gonna be what determines how much abuse it can take as far as pullin and offroading purpose. thats my 2 cents. i like the idea of taking what you got and makin it better than startin from scratch.

Quick Reply: Time to get over my head!