Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Front axle removal vs removing engine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 02:10 PM
Navy85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Front axle removal vs removing engine?

Need to remove theoil pan on my '96 4.3L 4WD.
From reading previous posts and my Haynes manual, appears that this can be accomplished either by removing the front axle or removing the engine. Since everything is pretty much already disconnnected from doing a head gasket job, I'm kind of leaning towards pulling the engine. I'mprimarily concerned with access to the upper engine-to-transmission bolts. Any insights as to how difficult this is? And how difficult is it to properly reattach the engine and transmission?

Also, Ican't find anything in the Haynesmanual about removing the front axle. Any thoughts? Could this be an easier way to go?

Thanks much,
Steve

1996 Blazer, 4.3L 4WD

Old 03-01-2008, 04:39 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Front axle removal vs removing engine?

The link below is on how to remove the tranny. To remove the engine, you pretty much have to remove teh tranny. You need to be able to tip the rear of the tranny down, this means both driveshafts have to come out, the t-case can stay attached, and the tranny cross brace has to come out. You can leave the tranny cooler lines attached to the tranny too, although they will need to be disconnected from teh engine, cover them so you dont get anything in them. Only takes a piece of grit the size of a grain of salt to stick a tranny valve, they you have to pullthe tranny vavle body to fix it. The reason you need to tip the tranny down is so you can get a wobble socket on those top two tranny bell housing bolts. You will need a wobble socket and about 3' of extensions for your rachet. To figure out the bell housing bolts size, go by one of the lower bolts, fit a socket on it. All the bell housing bolts are the same size. Remember, you are removing the tranny cross brace and the engine, those are the two things holding the tranny in thetruck, and your removing both of them. I use a jack stand with a 2x4 on top of it to support the tranny when the engine is out.

https://blazerforum.com/m_29933/tm.htm

I have not pulled the front axle yet, however based on my expiereince pulling the tranny and an engine, pull the front axle. But your the one doing the work, so I'll let you decide. Get pics and keep us up to date on how its going.

Old 03-01-2008, 04:45 PM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

Yea unless you have a lift to use dropping the tranni down in the rear to tilt the motor and tranni to get to the upper bolts is the way to go and then up and out can come the motor!!

Old 03-01-2008, 07:03 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

On a '96, you should be able to just lift the engine up (be careful as the distributor is quite close to the firewall) and remove the oil pan. There was a post recently where someone did just that.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:40 PM
94blueknight is on a distinguished road

for removing the front axle here is a blown apart view of it and the front differential. (this is for a 94 but should be similar to a 96)

Old 03-01-2008, 07:57 PM
Navy85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the help with this.
Can the engine be lifted sufficiently to remove the oil panwithout disconnecting from the transmission?
Thanks,
Steve

1996 Blazer 4.3L 4WD