Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Radiator split open on Plastic housing

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 11:53 PM
bodnar720 is on a distinguished road
Default Radiator split open on Plastic housing

was driving today and on the front side of my radiator on the driver side in the plastic housing split open and I was on my way to school Is there a temp fix to get thsi back home I dont feel like replacing the radiator in the parking lot lol thanks for the input

Old 03-23-2012, 06:28 AM
coolasice will become famous soon enough

nope, you could do short runs, couple miles, stop and let it cool/refill rad. just don't overheat it

Old 03-23-2012, 09:05 AM
Beginning Member
siddhartha is on a distinguished road

i had the same thing happen to me radiator..what im suggesting is not a permanent fix but could help out for a bit until you replace radiator..which is not that hard to replace..i used jb weld over the crack that was in me radiator but it DID NOT fix the problem, it only gave me some time to save up for the radiator to replace. the jb weld eventually cracked also. best thing to do is replace the thing. good luck man..and yea dont let it over heat.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:14 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by siddhartha
i had the same thing happen to me radiator..what im suggesting is not a permanent fix but could help out for a bit until you replace radiator..which is not that hard to replace..i used jb weld over the crack that was in me radiator but it DID NOT fix the problem, it only gave me some time to save up for the radiator to replace. the jb weld eventually cracked also. best thing to do is replace the thing. good luck man..and yea dont let it over heat.
That btw is a generally accepted temporary fix. and it DOES work.

Make sure crack clean and dry, sand it, follow directions exactly. Save up!!

I had a seeping crack open to steady stream 3 hours from home.. seriously thought of doing the jb.. then thought nah.. about same amount of time to fix. went and got rad instead. But I was in a friends driveway.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:48 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Try to find an all aluminum radiator minus the plastic. Well worth the extra bucks in the long run.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:05 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

if its at the acutual metal to plastic seam then doubtful. a friend of mine had his crack dead top in the center of the plastic on a neon and he jb welded it. still holding. if youre really hurting for money you can try the jb weld thing but gonna be really hard to get the area really clean

Old 03-24-2012, 06:31 PM
bodnar720 is on a distinguished road

lol thanx for the input I bit the bullet and replaced it in the parkinglot it was parked at. radiator wasnt to expensive 130 bucks new.... but I thought about trying the JB weld idea....soo glad i didnt, lol what was a crack turned into the grand canyon.

When I fully removed the radiator, the crack was aprox six inches long and ant the bottom it was roughly .5 across.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:04 PM
Chevy33 is on a distinguished road

Temp fix was to release the pressure and wipe with a glasses cleaning wipe and apply super glue to the crack. I applied twice in greater surface area once the first layer had dried. No leak and I was driving it.