Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

95 S10 dies

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 02:29 PM
thogbert is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 95 S10 dies

The problem started when it was raining, or had recently rained and the roads were still a bit damp.

My Blazer would be running fine then it would just sputter, then quit. I would let it sit for a few minutes and it would start up and run fine for a little while (maybe 1-5 minutes) then die again. I took it in to the shop and the guy said they spent all day, got it to quit on them once but couldn't figure it out. The recommended replacing the cap and rotor, and they "taped-up" a wire from the coil that looked like it may be worn. Everything was fine (no rain for a while though), then it died on me in the middle of good weather. Now, it seems to run fine when its cold, then when it warms up it seems to have these problems. Not necessarily right away, but at some point after I've driven it in the morning, it will start stalling. I'll wait a couple minutes and it will start right back up but will usually die again within a couple minutes. The really interesting thing is that it never gives a code and the check engine light never comes on.

It has a brand new EGR valve and I've already replaced the intake manifold gasket and the CMFI unit a couple years ago.

I can't afford to keep taking it in to the shop, so I was hoping someone out there had an idea.

It's a 95 S10, about 140K miles on it, 4.3L.

Thanks in advance for any help that is offered!

T.J.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:33 PM
chevygulr84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 95 S10 dies

have you checked your fuel filter and fuel pump? or even your converter?
Those are the main things I would replace first - Its most likely one of the 3.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:35 PM

Fuel Filter is brand new, replaced it when I replaced the EGR. The pump (at that time) ran rather well (or seemed to at least). What do you mean by converter...catalytic?

Old 10-28-2008, 03:46 PM

yes.....Catalytic, sorry

Old 10-28-2008, 03:49 PM

I thought of that a little, and I do need the muffler replaced. I may have been misleading though. It's not like the engine sputters and coughs and then eventually dies, it basically "hiccups" once or twice, the tac goes to 0 and it's dead. I've had cat's go out before and this seems different than those instances. I will have them look at it when I take it in for a new muffler though, you never know!

Old 10-28-2008, 04:08 PM

Hmmmmmmmmm......... I'll continue to think about it and maybe tonight I'll come up with something new. Sorry....I'll keep trying.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:58 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Next time you have it running, carefully shake all your electrical wiring. Start with the battery, should like a loose connection or corrosion on the contacts. specifically ont eh battery terminal or starter, or the wiring could be corroded between the two. Also verify your grounds are nice and tight, and clean.

Does it die after you hit a bump?

Old 10-28-2008, 05:01 PM

I've looked at most of the connections, but I'll keep looking. It dies, well, whenever. It has done it when I was going around a corner, just starting out, accelerating, just driving normal speed. It's really weird.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:10 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like an electrical connection.

The puter wont trip a check engine light for several conditions.
Fuel pressure, and what I call total electrical failure.

Does the rest of your electrical die at the same time? do yu still have interior lights, dash lights, etc.

there is another possiblity, your oil pressure sending unit has a loose of faulty wire. If that wire makes contact and sned a signal to the puter that your low on oil, the puter will kill power to the fuel pump. Its a safety feature to protect the engine.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:15 PM

No other electrical symptoms. Everything else functions. I can start it after waiting a minute or 2, but then it comes back again a few minutes later. In the morning, it starts fine, drives fine. I drive it about 3 miles to work, no issues. If I try to drive it again within a couple hours, it starts acting up. If I wait all day, I can drive it home with no problems.

Quick Reply: 95 S10 dies