Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

tranny fluid check

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 12:08 PM
Beginning Member
rlreusch is on a distinguished road
Default tranny fluid check

i have 2 1996 blazer 4 dr 4x4. on one of them i have changed the input seal to the transfer case. i have been checking the tranny fluid quite often. the problem i am having is that when i check the fluid livel when the vechicle is cold it show up nice in the hot range. after i drive the vehicle and get it to operating temps, leave it running and in park, when i check the level it barely reads on the dipstick. but if i turn the vehicle off and immediately check the level, it is where it should be. its that way on both blazers. what gives? is the new seal not working and it leaking back into the transfer case? i check the level of the transfer case and very little fluid came out. Thanks for any input
I am checking it correctly, right?

Last edited by rlreusch; 11-29-2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:49 PM
pappyam is on a distinguished road

This is from the owners manual:
Checking Transmission Fluid Cold
A cold check is made after the vehicle has been sitting for eight hours or more with the engine off and is used only as a reference. Let the engine run at idle for five minutes if outside temperatures are 50°F ( 10°C) or
more. If it's colder than 50°F ( I O O C ) , you may have to idle the engine longer. Should the fluid level be low during a cold check. you must perform a hot check before adding fluid. This will give you a more accurate reading of the fluid level.
Checking the Fluid Hot or Cold
Park your vehicle on a level place. Keep the engine running. With the parking brake applied,place the shift lever in PARK (P).Move the shift lever through the gears.
Then, without shutting off the engine, follow these steps:
1. Flip the handle up and then pull out the dipstick and wipe it with a clean rag or paper towel.
2. Push it back in all the way, wait three seconds and then pull it back out again.
3-Check both sides of the dipstick, and read the lower level. The fluid level must be in the COLD area for a cold check or in the HOT area or cross-hatched area for a hot check.
4. If the fluid level is in the acceptable range, push the dipstick back in all the way; then flip the handle down to lock the dipstick in place.
Add fluid only after checking the transmission fluid HOT. (A COLD check is used only as a reference.) If the fluid level is low, add only enough of the proper fluid to bring the level up to the HOT area for a hot check. it doesn’t take much fluid, generally less than one pint (0.5 L). Don’t overfill.
Hope this helps
Don

Old 11-29-2010, 10:05 PM
Beginning Member

thats what i have done and doing. i just thought it was weird that after changing the seals several weeks ago that the fluid would register on the dipstick where it is supposed to. i also thought it was weird that after driving it, checking the way the manual tells you to and it hardly is noticeable on the dipstick but if i shut it off and immediately check it, it is where it is supposed to be. i know that is not the way but i am trying to find a rhyme and reason for this. thanks

Old 11-30-2010, 07:14 AM
pappyam is on a distinguished road

i also thought it was weird that after driving it, checking the way the manual tells you to and it hardly is noticeable on the dipstick but if i shut it off and immediately check it, it is where it is supposed to be. i know that is not the way but i am trying to find a rhyme and reason for this. thanks
I think tranny fluid expands with heat and the converter and pumps would be sucking up and distributing the fluid to mechanically couple the engine. That is why, when shutting the engine, the fluid is at a standstill and you see it on the dipstick as full. If it is low when hot and engine running, you are missing fluid.
Don

Old 11-30-2010, 09:27 AM
Beginning Member

i will keep checking. i am not sure but i think the void between the tranny and transfer case will take some fluid maybe that is where some is going and and it hasn't settled in yet. i will add when hot and periodically check the tranfer case level.
thanks

Old 11-30-2010, 10:03 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Transmission fluid actively flows through the adapter between the transfer case and the transmission as this is open to the internals of the transmission at the output shaft. It should not migrate into the transfer case though as there is a lip seal on the front of the transfer case.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:22 PM
Beginning Member

swartlkk, that's what baffles me. i changed the seals and when i check the fluid hot it barely reads, unless i'm missing something, on the dipstick. i have checked the transfer case level and very little came out, wasn't totally level, that could have caused a little fluid to come out. unless the new seal went bad or was damaged but was very careful and looked at it before it was reinstalled. you said that fluid actively flows but will the fluid show low until that area gets more fluid in it?

Old 11-30-2010, 06:12 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you just need to add more fluid.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:25 PM
atvwarrior will become famous soon enough

Yea I was going to ask how many Quarts of fluid he used to refill everything . Mine is a 94 so I don't no if there the same but mine took 13 Quarts .

Old 11-30-2010, 08:46 PM
Beginning Member

when we put the transfer case back on we checked the fluid there and it was fine. i didn't drain any out of the transmission just what was in the the adapter void area. atvwarrior, is that 13 in the tranny or where?
thanks

Quick Reply: tranny fluid check