Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Truck won't shift any higher than second gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 09:26 AM
2KBVDA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Truck won't shift any higher than second gear

Hi. Recently bought a 2000 Bravada. Glad I found this forum. It has answered some questions.

Background. Truck has 58K. Just had valve body replace by dealer less than 500 miles. It was relplace because the RPM's would rise and fall aproximately 250 RPM's between 45 -55 MPH. Worked like a charm and fixed problem.

Start the car this morning and Service engine Soon light is on. Started driving and the transmission won't shift any higher than second gear.

It ran fine when I parked it last night. It sat outside in cold and rain for 12 hours. Start it up the next morning and it won't shift.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance. I have used the search menu a lot to answer other questions. Great site!

Phil

Old 10-29-2008, 10:29 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Truck won't shift any higher than second gear

*snip* Somehow a message I intended for another thread went here...

Old 10-29-2008, 10:41 AM

I'm lost. Is this a response to another question or am I missing something? I have been accused of being slow!

Old 10-29-2008, 10:45 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Truck wont shift any higher than

LMAO... Yeah, somehow that got into this thread... Sorry about that.

Anyway, about your issue... Do you still have reverse?

Typically, if the transmission goes into Limp-in mode, you will have 1st, 2rd, and reverse gears. If the reaction sun shell strips its splines, you will loose 2/4 and R. If the 2-3 shift solenoid has gone bad or is dirty, it may not shift into 3rd.

HERE is another thread with similar symptoms, but no clear answer from the original poster...

*EDIT* - Removed apostrophies from the title... They double each reply/edit.

Anyway, I also just looked up the symptoms and this definitely sounds like a dirty or failing 2-3 shift solenoid. Could be caused by sediment in the valve, a faulty electrical connection, bad valve or a bad seal on the solenoid.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:56 AM

Yep. Still have reverse.

Until you pass about 20 mph, the tranny acts just fine although service engine soon light is on.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:01 AM
Administrator

I editted my reply above most likely while you were typing out your response.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:01 PM

Thank you! I chickened out on doing tranny work and took it back to the dealer.

Your diagnosis is exactly what they said is wrong.

Thanks for the link to the other thread. I must have been typing wrong key words as I couldn't find that one.

I will post a follow up as my pet peeve is threads asking for help that are abondoned with no reply after someone receives help!

You guys are great.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:07 PM
Administrator

It is definitely nice to know that advice given was on track and lead to the proper repair of the vehicle. One thing that I try never to do is to say that a specific thing is the cause of a problem. With how integrated these systems are, many different things can cause go wrong, manifesting the same or very similar problems. I am a big advocate of test before you replace. Many people can take the shotgun approach and eventually fix their vehicle, but man, that hurts the wallet when you are talking about newer vehicles.

Let us know! Hopefully they will cover it as well!!

Old 10-29-2008, 03:01 PM

Swartlkk - just noticed your link to your Chevelle. Nice.

I have a 71. Pretty plain with just a 350 but it is all origional with 73K. Have origional bill of sale, protec-o-plate, owners manual, origional spare tire.

I refuse to make it a trailer queen. The family and I love to drive it all summer long. It is a really fun car.

At least I am trying to raise my kids right - american muscle!

Old 10-30-2008, 03:40 PM

Just got the car back and it was the 2-3 shift solenoid. I was told that this was replaced with the valve body as it was part of the repair kit.

The solenoid was just a bad part as it made is less than 200 miles before giving up the ghost.

All work was done for free and loaner car was supplied to me last night while the work was completed. Aside from the inconvience, I can't complain.

They even changed my oil for free while it was on the lift.

Quick Reply: Truck won't shift any higher than second gear