Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Vortec V6 manifold 2001 blazer heater core intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 12:59 PM
Beginning Member
clhenry is on a distinguished road
Default Vortec V6 manifold 2001 blazer heater core intake

Developed a leak. Engine is a V-6 vortec 4.3. The return hose from the heater core, where it goes into the manifold. I pulled the hose off and backed out the nipple that the hose connects to. The plug on the manifold is split. Cannot see if it is all one piece or can be replaced. Is there a way for this to be repaired or does the whole manifold have to be replaced? Tks cl

Old 02-23-2012, 09:29 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Can you post a picture or two of the broken piece?

Old 02-24-2012, 11:58 AM
Beginning Member

I cleaned the plug with acetone, and filled the crack with jb weld, Coated the threads inside and out, then snugged the nipple in place.Don't know if it will hold or not without leaking.
I pulled a photo off the net, looks like it is all one piece. Here is a photo of what i am referring to....Tks cl

Old 02-24-2012, 03:08 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The nipple threads into the intake manifold. If the nipple is cracked, you can replace it. If the manifold is cracked, you'll need to replace it if it still leaks after your repair.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:36 PM
Beginning Member

Let it set for 2 days and its still leaking so looks like a replace job. Looked at a couple manuals but can't find much on the removal. Anybody know where i can download a removal guide. Also recommend a good place to order at a good price.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:04 PM

There's a good guide in the "How-to" section for replacing the lower intake manifold gaskets, here on the forum. Make sure you use Felpro gasket MS98002T and follow the instructions that come with it. As for the manifold itself, it's a pretty common problem for the coolant ports to pit from corrosion so you might check a local boneyard first.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:39 PM
Beginning Member

Searching the how to now. Looks like the problem is going to be finding the manifold. Actual Chevy dealer wants around 9 hundred bucks. Napa and Advanced don't carry and say they can't get them. The ones i see online have a caption on them that they are not legal. Something about the ERG.

Nothing local. About my luck.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:45 PM

Call around, some boneyard will have a junk 4.3L that they'll sell you the manifold from. Ha, you can probably get the entire engine for a couple hundred!

Old 03-09-2012, 04:46 PM
Beginning Member

Finally got all the parts and started tearing it down. Ran into a problem The ac bracket has to be pulled out a couple inches to make room to remove the manifold. Got the 3 bolts off, and also found one on the bottom and removed. Still cannot remove. Does anybody have a diagram of what else could be holding this. I have been over and over and cannot se anything thats holding it on. Tks cl

Old 03-09-2012, 09:04 PM

Unbolt the AC compressor from the bracket, (do not discharge refrigerant) and move the compressor out of the way. Remove 3 bolts and one nut/stud from the AC bracket. Remove one nut (from the front) holding the PS pump to its bracket. There is one nut holding the power steering bracket on a stud next to the front of the exhaust manifold, it only needs to be loosened, not removed. No need to remove the PS pulley. Pull the PS pump and bracket forward slightly to allow removal of the AC bracket.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 03-09-2012 at 09:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Vortec V6 manifold 2001 blazer heater core intake