Go Back   Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums > Mechanical & Maintenance > General Tech Help > Full Size K5 Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Blazer Forum!
Welcome to Blazer Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Blazer Forum today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-17-2013, 04:03 PM
Beginning Member

Fosse is on a distinguished road
Default Ignition timing too high

I just picked up an 89 Jimmy. I went to get it smogged today and it failed because the ignition timing is too high at 800 RPM and they said it should be at 600. Is there anything I can do to fix this or do I need to take it to a mechanic? Also the engine has been replaced with a 383 if that matters
Old 01-17-2013, 07:21 PM
1996 Chevrolet Blazer

1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

Is it carbed or does it have fuel injection.If its carbed you need to lean your air fuel mix.You can adjust the timing also.Need more info about the year of engine and if and how its been modified.
While driving remember this rule of thumb,If another driver switches lanes infront of you cutting you off causing you to slam on the brakes to avoid a collision that they almost caused its your fault and you should be happy that they flip you the bird when you lay on the horn.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:01 AM
Beginning Member

pretty much all i know is that it is still throttle body injection like the original 350 and it has vortec heads. i probably should of got more info on it when i bought it, but i needed a vehicle right away so i bought this one. and it runs amazing. just this one thing i have to figure out
Old 01-18-2013, 03:31 PM
1989 Chevrolet K Blazer
My Garage

70-K5 is on a distinguished road

Are you in Oakland, CA? I thought they had strict rules about engine swaps...

Anyways, the ignition timing is a relationship between spark and pistion position. You said that it needs to be at 600rpm vs. 800rpm, that is a idle setting.

My $0.02 is take it to a mechanic.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:48 PM
Beginning Member

Yeah California. As far as I know engine swaps are fine, just can't put a carbureted engine in a vehicle that didnt come with one.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:49 PM
1996 Chevrolet Blazer

1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

You can advance the timing which will increase the idle speed.You have to plug or disconnect the computer cant remeber which hopefully some can help with that.If its not a timing issue it could possibly be tps.
While driving remember this rule of thumb,If another driver switches lanes infront of you cutting you off causing you to slam on the brakes to avoid a collision that they almost caused its your fault and you should be happy that they flip you the bird when you lay on the horn.

Last edited by 1sttimejimmyowner; 01-18-2013 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:49 PM

Tags
1989, 383, 42, 89, advance, blazer, chevy, high, ignition, k5, motor, put, sbc, timing, total