General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Back to the future!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 06:06 PM
Beginning Member
Chip is on a distinguished road
Question Back to the future!

I am starting to think that GM killed the S-10 Blazer just before they really needed a smaller 4X4 platform that didn't weigh 3 tons, and got pretty good fuel economy. Just think of what the third gen. Blazer might look like if it was kept small, had a little more power, and a little more thought to it's driveline and suspension. In fact why don't we help GM out here(before it's too late). Let's build it! Spec. out your options on this new truck and let's see what comes out of this "flight of fantasy"

Mine:
A six banger with a min 225 HP
An optional eco-tech 4 w/ turbo (for 2 wheel drive models)
Better steering feel
Better feel in the suspension
About the same body style no heavier
6 speed auto trans
Electric locking rear
Nicer treatment of interior
Two tone paint option (again)
Will add to this list as I think about it

Yours?

Last edited by Chip; 05-26-2009 at 06:16 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:09 PM
Biohazed is on a distinguished road

umm they didn't technically kill the Blazer just the name its the Trailblazer now

Old 05-26-2009, 06:23 PM
Beginning Member
Chip is on a distinguished road

IMO Blazer / Trailblazer not the same vehicle.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:42 PM
96chevblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

there really not the same a trailblazer is a pure grocery gettin, family suv.... IMO

Old 05-26-2009, 07:26 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure how one could classify the Trailblazer as a grocery getter only...

The GMT360/370 platform is a more refined, more powerful, and more capable platform to the S-series. It still has the full frame. But grocery getter... Sorry, but no, I do not agree with that statement at all. Stock for stock, a Trailblazer will go anywhere plus more than an s-series (ZR2 aside) as they both have almost identical ground clearances with only a 6" longer wheelbase.

Between my stock Rainier and my stock Bravada, I found that my Rainier could go through the same trails for hunting/fishing/etc that my Bravada could, only with less trouble.

Having driven both along with some lifted s-series trucks, I would still pick a GMT360 platform vehicle over an s-series.

Not to mention how nice this truck looks (picture of Bill's 2004 Envoy - aka the roadie on Trailvoy.com):

Attached Thumbnails Back to the future!-xmas.jpg  
Old 05-26-2009, 07:50 PM
Starting Member
Buschkj24 is on a distinguished road

yea i agree, the envoy is a pretty decent vehicle. My brother has one, only in 2wd, and even tho its 2wd it still does pretty well. Its like comparing a Jeep Cherokee to the Commander. Both are very capable vehicles off road, just one is "newer" than the other. If they did make a blazer s-series again, a more powerful engine would be good, with at least 20 mpg city driving with a V6, but maybe option in a V8 that would get around 23 or 24 hwy so that would put it around 16 or so in a city setting. a solid front axle would be great also, and instead of an electric locking diff for the rear, add it to the front as well, kinda like the jeep Rubicons. a different design for the sway bars would be a most for "off-road" versions (ZR2 models). I would offer a 2wd version, kinda like the extremes for people who do not go off the paved roads, but add a nice limited slip diff for them to put that power to the pavement. that would be a good start I would think.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:51 PM
mech cb is on a distinguished road

I'd rather keep my blazer. I've been in my dads TB a few times-not impressed. One of the highlights for me is the shorter wheelbase which helps with cornering in the woods. I also think the blazer is built simpler which any mechanic can appreciate. Sure, the blazers could use some improvements, but I still prefer mine.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:59 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

I agree completely with mech... Everytime I've ridden in / driven a trailblazer platform vehicle it just felt too... Grocery getter (don't give me flack for this). Yes the Blazer's were crude-ish and cheap inside, but whenever I see a trailblazer I just can't help but think "soccer mom".
You can try as hard as you want to make a soccer-mom SUV into a young guy's off-road vehicle, but you're not fooling anybody... most people look and ask WHY.

Just my $0.02

Last edited by oktain; 05-26-2009 at 08:07 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:15 PM
96chevblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by oktain
I agree completely with mech... Everytime I've ridden in / driven a trailblazer platform vehicle it just felt too... Grocery getter (don't give me flack for this). Yes the Blazer's were crude-ish and cheap inside, but whenever I see a trailblazer I just can't help but think "soccer mom".
You can try as hard as you want to make a soccer-mom SUV into a young guy's off-road vehicle, but you're not fooling anybody... most people look and ask WHY.

Just my $0.02
I totally agree!

*Edit*

I will admit that these tbs aren't grocery getters lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjCqCMufE94

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaA4q...eature=related

Last edited by 96chevblazer; 05-26-2009 at 08:24 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:47 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

My Rainier actually turns corners sharper than my Bravada did. And the Rainier is a TON easier to work on than the Bravada was, in every aspect! To each their own. I would not go back to an s-series unless it was a steal.

Quick Reply: Back to the future!