General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Door hinge pins

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 09:36 AM
Starting Member
fondo has a little shameless behavior in the past
Default Door hinge pins

Can anyone give me some tips on replacing the pins in the driver side door of my 93 olds bravada? Looks to be a pita. I bought the replacement pins and bushings from autozone (help/dorman). Any advice would be great... Thanks

Old 03-27-2009, 09:39 AM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

I'd say use the Search feature in here, try 'door hinges'. I know of a couple postings that have step by step help & 1st hand experience at replacing them. I called a GM dealership, they said they haven't had issues with 2 dr blazer hinges... I said WHAT?... A: it's a GM & B: it's a 2dr, they ALL have issues!!! lol

Old 03-27-2009, 11:23 AM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

On my 98, I just pulled the spring and then pulled the pins out. Put in the new bushings, and fitted the door back on. I know those instructions aren't very specific but it really didn't take much more than that. The springs can be hard to take in and out. I got a door spring tool from Harbor Freight for like $5 that made the job much easier.

I'm not sure how different the doors in 1st gens are from 2nd gens though. 94 blueknight replaced the door on his blazer just recently so if he sees this thread, he can probably give advice.

Old 03-27-2009, 12:18 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

here's a link i found on eBay, complete with spring tool & bushing tool.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/OLDSMOBILE-BRAVAD...1%7C240%3A1318

Old 03-27-2009, 05:41 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

It's a pretty straight forward job to do. Use the spring removal tool and have an extra set of hands to help. Also, rig something up to support the door once you remove it. I used a chair with some pillows and a blanket to not scratch up the door.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:54 PM
Renthorin is on a distinguished road

Silly question perhaps but I have a 98 Blazer. I assume that ebay stuff will work for my door hinge pins too???

Old 05-03-2009, 09:20 PM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Renthorin
Silly question perhaps but I have a 98 Blazer. I assume that ebay stuff will work for my door hinge pins too???
Dont think so. It may, but there's no gurantee unless you know someone who has a 98 or newer Blazer and has used them.. Let me explain.

Your truck is the 3rd year of what is called the "2nd Generation" bodystyle of the S10 Blazer. That is, any Blazer made from 95-05.

The "1st Generation" of the S10 Blazer was made from 83-94 I believe.

The reason I mention this is because the two generations generally use different parts in basically all aspects of the truck, no something minor such as the door hinges might be the same, but notice that the title of the auction says 91-94.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:21 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Renthorin
The spring compressor will work, but the pins are not the same.

As stated earlier, the search function will turn up many threads discussing this very topic.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:01 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

You can get the pins/bushings rather cheap from Auto Zone or your choice of parts store and the tool from Harbor Freight.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:08 AM
Renthorin is on a distinguished road

Aye. Harbor Freight had the spring compressor for $2.99 :-)

The install job actually went a lot smoother than I thought and now the annoying door creek/rattle is all gone.

Quick Reply: Door hinge pins