Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

95 Blazer LT 4.3 Intake

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 10:53 AM
Mr.Wiggles is on a distinguished road
Default 95 Blazer LT 4.3 Intake

Well i was thinking about doing a "custom" intake, one of my buddies built one using 3" PVC pipe. I was just wondering, good idea or bad idea?

Old 07-22-2016, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

More pointless than anything really. If you want it to look "cool" and make "cool" sounds go for it but don't expect to gain any benefit from it.

Old 07-22-2016, 05:04 PM
Racer_X is on a distinguished road

What's your goal?

With a good flowing filter, the intake piping and filter aren't the most restrictive part of the intake tract. Measure before you spend any time and effort.

Hook a vacuum gauge up to the intake manifold. There's a fitting for the cruise control and other things where the hose from the PCV valve attaches to the manifold on the driver's side. Put the gauge where you can see it from inside. Best is to run it where you can read it from the passenger seat and have someone else drive. Do a 2nd gear start, floored, on an empty stretch of rural highway. Watch the vacuum gauge as the RPMs rise. Note how high the vacuum is when driver stops accelerating at red-line on tach.

Move the vacuum gauge and attach it to the intake air pipe/hose where the Intake air temp sensor is. Repeat the test, and watch the vacuum gauge again on a 2nd gear, full throttle run up to red-line.

If the peak vacuum is the same at the intake air pipe as in the manifold, your air filter is the most restrictive part of the intake tract. If there is little or no vacuum in the intake air pipe/hose, then the throttle body is more restrictive than the air pipe and air filter, and little will be gained by "upgrading" the filter or intake pipes and hoses and filter.

The good thing about the stock air box and filter is that it draws cool air from in the fender well. Almost every "upgrade" sucks hot air from under the hood. That's bad. If you want a less restrictive filter, and you don't mind cleaning it every year or so, and cleaning the MAF sensor at the same time, K&M makes a replacement for the stock filter element.

BTW, if you need to wring every last pony out of this engine to win the drag race, you really are driving the wrong vehicle.

Last edited by Racer_X; 07-22-2016 at 05:07 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:27 AM

haha hey guys sorry for the long wait response. @Racer_X, wow bub..... I wasn't wanting to go through all that lol but thank you so much for all the info. I should have told you all when i bought the vehicle there was absolutely to intake line except for the like 3" long rubber hose coming off the throttle body. so i'm pretty much trying to spend as little amount of money possible with out screwing anything up.

Last edited by Mr.Wiggles; 07-25-2016 at 09:32 AM.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:16 AM

Can you post a pic of what you have left?

Do you still have the MAF sensor at the end of the rubber hose?

Pull-a-Part (there's one in Indianapolis) usually has plenty of these vehicles. The "Air cleaner" (top and bottom) is about 13 bux there. The entire "Air box and duct assembly" up to the throttle body (not including the throttle body) is about 22-23 bux if they don't notice/charge you for the MAF sensor. They charge almost 30 bux for the MAF sensor if you need that.

If you already have a cone filter assembly, you could clamp it on the end of the hose temporarily. A short piece of PVC pipe might make that connection for you. I'd plan on getting the stock airbox if you can find one.

Last edited by Racer_X; 07-25-2016 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:30 AM

Yeah i still MAF sensor and yeah thats what i was thinking, i didnt know if the PVC pipe would be a bad idea or not (i have some handy in the basement)

Old 07-25-2016, 12:01 PM

A short piece of PVC pipe will work for that application. Be sure to clean the ends thoroughly. You don't want dust or chips from the cut end going in the engine if you can avoid it. If you already have the "cone filter", that would be a "quick fix." The down sides to that are: "Oiled" filters like K&N can contaminate the MAF sensor. MAF cleaner is hard to find, and somewhat expensive when you do find it. Also, a cone filter in that position is open to very hot air. That's not going to be ideal for the engine. You could make some baffling to keep the heat out, but it would be better and easier to look for a stock air box for the long term.

Old 07-25-2016, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

In the case that you have nothing there then yes a piece of PVC will be better than nothing at all. I thought you were asking more in terms a of a DIY cold air intake not out of necessity lol!

I have a stock air box somewhere. I would have to dig for it but if you absolutely can't find one let me know you can have it for the price of shipping.

Old 07-26-2016, 11:43 AM

Awesome! I'll let you know, thank you! (:

Old 07-26-2016, 06:05 PM

Just sayin'.

Quick Reply: 95 Blazer LT 4.3 Intake