Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

All dash warning lights lit up while driving as though ignition was clicked back

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 08:37 AM
Beginning Member
tjmicsak is on a distinguished road
Default All dash warning lights lit up while driving as though ignition was clicked back

Was driving this morning to work. After a brief stop at a red light I noticed that all my dash lights were on as though the ignition key was set back to the first "on" position before cranking.
Battery meter read 14 volts- good, didn't loose the battery...
Temperature gauge was OK- good, didn't loose idler pulley and belt...
Gas gauge read empty- but tank was full
Every light on the display was on as though the key had just been put into the ignition and turned to the first position before crank, all while driving down the road.

After a few minutes the lights went out, not at the same time, but rather one or two at a time, in sequence, and finally all went out but one- the "security" light up center top. Again, all the while the engine running fine.

When I got to work I left the engine running ("security" light still on), checked all doors and hatch to be sure there was no door latch or handle out of place, and then I shut the engine off.

Upon restart all the dash lights did their usual thing, and the "security" light was no longer staying on. All seems back to normal for now.

What in the world could have caused this to happen? Is my ECM on the verge of failure?

Old 02-22-2017, 08:41 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would suspect an ignition switch failure of some kind. Check out the Anatomy of the Ignition Switch link at the bottom of my signature below for what typically happens to them and information on diagnosing this problem.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:37 AM
Beginning Member
tjmicsak is on a distinguished road

Thank You!